Boilies

S

simon hall

I am thinking about making some of my own boilies at home and wondered if any of you would know what are the best base mixes, rolling machines etc and how I would go about making em. Never done it before and would like to give it a go.

J

jason fisher

you've done it now.
what's the best base mix, one you're confident in.
gardner do some decent rolling stuff but it's pricey.
to make em's easy, wait till wife goes out for whole afternoon,
crack eggs into bowl,
add liquid flavours at the levels you want to use em dyes, and powdered attractants.
if you want a bright coloured bait add white colour too.whisk it all together .
add base mix stirring it in till you get a stiff paste, kneed the paste for a while till it is well mixed.
roll bait into sausages or use sausage gun.
roll sausages into balls using either hands(for people like nash and maddocks)or rolling table for normal people who cant make a perfect 10 mm ball with their hands.

heat pan of water to boiling, preferably chip pan with wire basket type.
put a few baits in not many or water will stop boiling and results aren't as good.
boil for desired time longer boil= harder bait.
let em cool down on wire racks and freeze or air dry.
hide all boily making equipment and clear up before wife returns,
when wife returns blame smell on:-
kids, dog, factory down road, local shops,neighbours whichever you think you can get away with.

B

Budgie Burgess

Jason please explain about adding a white colouring to get a brighter bait.

C

Cakey

Jason please explain about adding a white colouring to get a brighter bait.

F

Frothey

back in the good old days we used to dye hookbaits white to mimic the "washed out" lokk....before we realised we could just put them in water!

Tim Birch

Reaction score
Simon, in your other thread you mentioned catching a 43lb er, whatever your already using seams to be working. If its a boilie use THAT basemix.

Tim Birch

Reaction score
Sorry Simon, silly me , did'nt realise you were talking cats.
I'll bow out slowly, pretend you didnt see me.

M

Malcolm Bason

Follow roto's link - a superb site!imo

Start off with the recipes yopu'll find on there and tweek em to make em your own! ;o)

S

simon hall

Thanks for the info lads. I do have a few ingredients of my own I am gonna add and some ideas what might work well for cats and carp. Now I know what base mixes to use and how to make em I should be bagging up pretty soon. It's a bit cold for the cats at the moment and I haven't really fished for carp for at least 5 years so I will have to give the new rods and home made bait a go for some carp. I will let you know how I get on.

simon

J

jason fisher

if for instance you want a really bright red or orange that will stand out at a long distance. for a high attract bait for example.
then put your normal ammount of colour in and add a bit of white, instead of getting a darker red colour you will get the bright dayglo type red.
try it you'll see what i mean.

J

jason fisher

and that colouring trick is a really old one too. i know both budgie and cakey must have knownit already.

J

jason fisher

been thinking on the colour thing a bit more, and i think the white colour is used at about 1/4 to 1/2 the level of the main colour, so if you're putting in 1 teaspoon of red then it's 1/4 to 1/2 tspn of white.

it came from an article on baitmaking by one of, hutcinson, maddocks or nash in the late 1980's.

G

Glyn Brennan

Hello all.
Just regarding the flavourings. The boilie.co.uk site (excellent site) refers to Rod Hutchinson etc flavourings. Just wondered if the flavourings you can get in the supermarkets are any good (as they are a lot cheaper !)

F

Frothey

never seen monster crab cake flavouring!

they work, but generally speaking you need more of it.try natural flavours like amoy supergrade oyster sauce.

put up the link you have to put up every other week roto....??

F

Frothey

thing to remember jason is that in the 80's, baits were predominantly protein/birdfoods - fishmeals only just started getting popular late 80's - so were light coloured anyway. its almost pointless colouring fishmeals, as after an hour or so in the water they just go grey anyway. only real exceptions are black (they go dark grey) and red (and only if your using robin red!)

G

Glyn Brennan

Frothey

Thanks for your answer.

Is this to me ?

"put up the link you have to put up every other week roto....??"

If so I'm not sure what you mean ?