sea fishing in the south of France

M

michael rouse

I went to the south of France last year on holiday and swam with hundreds of big fish that no one was fishing for.I think most of them might just feed upon the nutrients of the coral and others plankton but if anyone has fished with lures there and caught id like to know.

Michael

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

millet is a good bait for mullet and budgies

F

Frothey

you can catch mullet on lures....

what if there arent any predators? not going to bother?

M

michael rouse

if there arent any predators ill stick to a mackeral trace maybe.mackeral feathers are great.

I hope there are predators though

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Float fish with bread if you want to catch mullet. A small red nymph also works well with a fly rod.

And Monk, I am not talking about a Russian girl.

M

michael rouse

Im talking about france here.Ron, are you talking about english mullet or french mullet?If you were fishing a foreign country for the first time but had seen fish swimming(5-7lbs)would you fly fish or lure fish(most beaches have people swimming)?I have no knowledge of these fish but some were the same shape as snappers.

E

Are they those flying mackerel Dave ?? If so its the wing feathers that are best

J

jason fisher

frothey
they heads south in the winter then once they reach warmer climes they moult in preparation for returning to the colder northern waters in the summer.

michael mullet be they english or french are mullet.

M

michael rouse

i dont even know if mullet are there,Frothy said "maybe mullet" and Ron mentioned flyfishing for them but i never mentioned mullet.

If there are lots of different species of fish there then are some of them likely to be predators?Most of the fish there shoal and have large deep bodies.

E

South of France ------ maybe escaped/holidaying Cassein carp ......

F

Frothey

nah, they go to norway, they're fed up fo sun and warmth..

F

Frothey

South of France ------ maybe escaped/holidaying Norweigan carp ......

W

Wolfman Woody

Seriously - bass. There everywhere down there and very popular in the better restaurants.

I made a pact with God many years ago, that if he put a nice bass on my hook and allowed me to land it He could have my soul soon after. My telling you this now could prove a two things!!! And no, I never caught a bass and now, I don't want to just in case.

M

michael rouse

sea bass then.So i should opt for the bass lures i use in Wales then eg poppers.

W

Wolfman Woody

First thing, Michael, is location, location, location!

Don't ask me though. As I implied, I have never caught a bass. Every bait I've put out for them (in Wales) has been snaffled by flounders, mackerel, pollock, eels and doggies. Hence my pact and since I am still alive - it proves I haven't caught one since, but I do know they are popular in the Med. I worked there for 10 months in 89, never wet a line once sadly, but we ate some lovely bass in the restaurant.