winter baits

jay pratt

Reaction score
what is best in the winter for fishing method. hook bait and method mix. boilies are not allowed

pooley

Reaction score
i would try vitalin with hemp and sweetcorn, corn or plastic corn on hook

F

Frothey

maggots on hook, any old groundbait on feeder - fruity maybe?

C

Carp Angler

in the winter?

What's the carp stock like, coz unless it's a pastie pool, then I would steer well clear of bulky groundbaits?

Salted maize, hemp and tigers or maggots would be my choices, or better still, fish a lake with decent management that doesn't ban boilies.

F

Frothey

do you mean "groundbait....in the winter?"

i use a really loose crumb/birdfood mix with no "lumps" in, so give it 20 mins or so, its just mush anyway. too much food in vitalin...

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Jay, sorry for buttin in on the thread mate but i think Rik was trying to say......

in da winter?

wus da karps stock like, coz unless it's a pastie pool, thun me would stea well clear hof bulky groundbaits?

Salted maize, hemp hand tigers or maggots would be me choices, or betta still, fish a lake wif decent geezeragement dat doesn't ban boilies.

F

Frothey

condensed milk/nesquick/liquidised corn's nice in it toooooo

S

simon hall

I would try bread on the hook and vitalin mixed with hemp on the feeder. Bread has been around for years and lets face it, I would say it has got to be one of the best natural baits available which the fish can easily see. Maybe even try soaked bread in a dip.

C

Cakey

Im off for two days fishing now !!!
going to use sweetcorn for bait and sweetcorn and 3mm high oil pellets for free feeding.
Bread would not last last 3 seconds with the silver fish where Im fishing.
Got some boilies just in case.............

C

Carp Angler

sorry Frothy, we posted at the same time, my response was to the previous replies.

Stodgy groundbait and vitalin in the winter on a lake?
Crunbly loose textured/birdfood base, yes, possibly, but not vitalin.
As I said, on a pastie pool, then possibly, but bulked up foods like vitalin will just lie inert on the bottom and would provide too much food value for the fish.

It's no wonder than people don't last long in the sport, if they use totally inappropraite tactics and don't catch then their interest wanes, but there is so much advice about but poeple seem to ignore it.

Oi, Gaunt.
Shut it you slag.