cat food

jay pratt

Reaction score
what cat food is best for winter and summer.
can it be used for ground bait, method, pv bags.

martin close

Reaction score
Hi Jay

I use tinned cat food for berley (groundbait) more when sea fishing, just suspend a tin in an onion bag with holes punched through it, into the water, let all the juices leak out and set up a trail. For the method i think you'd use chunkier types, well chopped and mixed with crumb or the like. Not sure about PVA bags as it's fairly wet stuff, unless your a quick cast.

Martin

R

Rich Halliday

jay, the best cat food is by far whiskers. Use the chunks for hook bait on a 2-3lb hair. The meat varietys in the gravy is gr8 for making groundbait or method mix. Beware can be messy tho and smelly but well worth ago if nothing else is catching.

alan

Reaction score
Martin, you say that you use cat food when sea fishing, does that work?

martin close

Reaction score
Alan

Yes it does definitely, just pick the right mix. I look for those that contain Tuna oil. Usually it's in the cheap brands,the idea is to punch a few holes in the tin, lower it into the water and let the oil form a slick or berley trail, when your finished just pull it back out and either use the chunks left for groundbait or the hook if firm enough

W

Wendy Perry

i get a tin of cat food from lidl which is fantastic and stays on the hook i think it's called Koshi or something like that i get the blue tin one . try it i'm sure you'll like it and it's well cheap

Bonyman

Reaction score
Wendy,its called cosheda and ya right,its the blue tinned one (the one with peas n carrots in it!!!!!) Somethin about this stuff that carp go nuts for,and hence why its being banned on so many commercial waters. Lidl's is the only place i've found it for sale ;0)

Tim Birch

Reaction score
The Lidl Catfood is excellent, but as Bonyman says, the one with bits of veg in seems to work best. The Coshida emblem is on gold in black lettering.
The beef flavour (red can) seems to be the most popular and seems to work very well but the lamb flavour has more of the darer (liver?) chunks in it which stay on the hook far better than the lighter tan coloured fattier chunks.

I cant promise this working on your water but I found much better success if I cut a chunk corner to corner, (pyramid shape) push the hook through, twist and pull back into the flat bottom, so the line (or top of hookshank) exits the top of the pyramid.

This seemed to give a much better hooking success rate and have tried a similar peardrop (paste?) shape with luncheon meat with much better hooking frequency.

I used Preston PR24 (size 10) or Mustad Method feeder hooks (size 12) mainly for this (margin fishing).