Drachkovitch Rig

D

Davy North

A while back I read an article about a continetal rig for wobbling/sink and draw called a Drachkovitch (spelling?).

It involved mounting a dead bait on a length of wire with trebles on either side of the bait, something like the traditional rigs that had a spinner blade in front of the bait.

Wobbling is a method I like, it keeps me mobile, while out of the highly confusing world of lures. The article was interesting and I'd fancied a go, but one thing worried me. Is there a chance that when a pike hits the bait hard the wire it's mounted on could injure it.
I know all the diagrams show pike taking prey neatly from the side, however in real life things are not so perfect.
Although the rig seemed to have advantages, I would hate to impale a pike on the wire.

Has anyone had experience of this type of rig?

C

Chris Bishop

Sounds similar to the wobbling pins you can get from Marvic, Partridge etc. If you're worried subsititute something thicker than a wire.

Do you need pins, bars, weights etc anyway - just stick the bait on a pair of size 6 or 4 trebles and add a couple of swan shot to the trace if I need to get the bait down faster.

I tried some of these pins, bars etc but just found they made the baits break up faster.

A

Andy Doughty

I remember reading the article in P+P about the Drachkovitch rig. I was also concerned about the 'wire' through the middle of the bait and also the fact that the bait was whipped on with wire at the top. I dont see the need for it. Harris Angling sell quite a few differnt types of deadbait spinning traces and they also do a couple of in-line spinners that can be added just above the hook trace as an enticer. I suppose you could always make a trace up with a collardo blade and a few beads on it.

C

Chris Bishop

You should see some of the other old flights - folding hooks and hinged spikes all over the shop.

A couple of trebles are just as good. Any more and you have all kinds of unhooking problems, flying trebles etc.

Saturday did not improve after you left us, by the way.

P

Philip Inzani

Dont know if its sold as a "Drachkovitch" rig as such but I am pretty sure I know the one you mean as its still being sold out here in France. I think the idea is to keep the hooks on either side standing as proud as possible for max hooking potential....or to foul hook delibratly....remeber they kill PIke over here to eat so thats not as big an issue. I dont like it and I dont see any advantage of using it over a normal wobbling setup.

I

Ian Wortley

Yesterday while trolling on White Lough, Ballybay, we noticed an upturned pike in the margins. On inspection we rig very similar was found to be responsible for it's downfall. The main body was made of rigid wire with two large trebles and a length of copper wire attached. Giving the number of french "anglers/butchers" fishing this area I would agree with Philip.

Ian Wortley/Andrew Calvert.

D

Davy North

Hmmm, seems my fears are well founded. Needless to say I wont be giving this kind of rig a go.

C

Chris Bishop

All you need is either a couple of trebles - one in the mouth, one in the flank - or a single and a treble for smaller baits.

Make sure you hook the bait through both lips to keep the mouth closed or they fill up with water and fall to bits after a few casts.

If you need weight to sink a bouyant bait down add a swan shot or two to the trace.

The biggest problem is steeling yourself not to smash the rod round as soon as you feel a take - I still do this now and then without thinking and bounce fish off.

Use the rod tip to work the bait rather than the reel, that way you'll feel every little pluck and be able to react accordingly.

Just give 'em a yard or so of slack when they take the bait before you nail 'em. Don't let them run - as some people claim you should - as you'll end up deep hooking anything over jack size.

It's a great method on the right day, esp if you're prospecting new waters and want to locate the fish.

D

Davy North

I have caught pike on sink & draw/wabbling, it must take some self composure not to strike on the take. Even a 5lb jack which up to now is about my limit hit the bait hard. At close range you strike out of shock. Funny how it still has that effect even when you are prepared for it.

D

Davy North

I'm hoping to do more lure fishing this season, I hope I'm in for a few jumps!