HOOKLENGTHS FOR CARP

W

Wolfman Woody

You say in your piece "Just make sure the hook point?s clear by using PVA."

Presumably you mean a little PVA beanie thing push onto the hook before you cast?

F

Frothey

either wrap the hook in pva tape, or use one of the dissolving cheesy wotsit things

N

Nick Austin 2

talking of which, Dave, i discovered the other day, that some of the packaging "chips" they use in warehouses are now biodegradable, and they disolve in water just like the PVA ones you buy in tackle shops.... you can tell which ones by eating them, they taste of potatoe!

F

Frothey

no.......you cant be serious nick!

are the ones from tackle shops pva? i thought they were just packaging re-packaged!

B

Bill Cox

Makes you wonder who,s being had here does,nt it .If as nick says they are using copious amounts of pva for packaging ,why are we being ripped off for a few bits in a bag with a picture of a carp on it ?
Answer --Because were stupid enough to pay it.

F

Frothey

you might've been, i twigged what it was as soon as i saw it! helps having an IT department upstairs that use it by the tonne!

you can buy pva sheets fairly cheaply, but then you need to store it, cut and heat seal it, etc. like so many things, we pay for convinience. supermarkets sell 400g mashed potato for the cost of a 25kg sack of "raw" spuds....

W

Wolfman Woody

Like a lot of things sold in tackle shops, dog biscuits at three times the price of Tescos. Luncheon meat at up to four times Asda price. Trout pellets up to 6 times what you can get a 25kg sack for. And ground breadcrumbs ? ? ? ? They're free if you're prepared to put in a bit of work.

Like you say Bill "Because were stupid enough to pay it." - wouldn't have happened in Walker's day.

D

Deecy

Did people really believe tackle shops who told them Solar nuggets and the like were PVA. Best laugh I have had for ages, that's Carp anglers for you.Best mark up too ,nice one.

F

Frothey

"Best mark up too ,nice one."

free to ?8....not a bad margin!

funnily enough, i dont begrudge it of lockey, after all, who used them before he popularised it?