Sponsorship

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Is it all getting too much? Or could it be that our star anglers are only doing what the rest of the sporting world does.

THEY could ask, "why shouldn't they get a few bob for promoting products."

W

Wolfman Woody

I've had a few strains of thought on the matter of sponsorship over the years.

I'm not opposed to it, but I do wish that some matchemen would respect their sponsors by turning out on matches and washed and cleaned gear. Some of them look like they're wearing last season groundbait and the previous months cow muck from their walks across fields. If they want the money they have to look smart every time they turn out. What do you think it would look like if Schumacher turned up on the grid with the crap and filth from the previous 6 races across his car and overalls?

From the other side, I would want sponsorship to the extent that say Matt Hayes or Bob Nudd gets it. They HAVE to use that manufacturers gear and sometimes I might feel like using someone elses if they make it better. Also, don't you look a little hypocritical to have said for years that ABC's rods are the Bog's Dollocks only to change your tack and say XYZ'z are no.1 and ABC's are crap?

I once fancied making a bob or two selling tee shirts with this on the back.
"THIS SITE AVAILABLE FOR ADVERTISING AND SPONSORSHIP -

APPLY WITHIN!"

W

Wolfman Woody

Sorry - mistake. I should have said "I wouldN'T want sponsorship to the extent...."

F

Frothey

people bitch about sponsored anglers, but in the main they're only jealous!

dont think being sponsored has ever stopped anyone using another brands "going" bait...or tigers...

G

Gary Knowles 2

Not enough - definitley.

Anyone who says they wouldn't welcome free, top of the range gear or bait is either extremeley stupid or telling porkies.....

Remember it's successful people that get sponsored, nor sponsored people that get successful. They've earned it !

T

The Dog

"Anyone who says they wouldn't welcome free, top of the range gear or bait is either extremeley stupid or telling porkies....."

If it were free then yes, but as we all know the gear comes with obligations either moral or contractual.

For that reason I wouldn't because I have a thing about not letting anyone or anything influence where, when and how I fish. I'd guess that probably puts me in a minority of one :eek:)

D

Dave Slater

A minority of two :O)
I agree with you Andy. I dare say quite a few other people do as well.

G

Gary Knowles 2

Hold on guys you've misinterperated what I meant.

I'm not saying I'd use eveything that was supplied. I'd use what I though was the best for the job, be it bait or tackle. If it came free great....if I had to pay for someone elses gear that I preferred then I'd pay.

I certainly wouldn't, as you say, let anyone or anything influence where, when and how I fish.

I hear wht your saying about your moral obligations and maybe your right. Suppose if I did get sponsored I'd probably be dumped within weeks for using other peoples stuff that I preferred !

T

Terry Comerford

I had a sweatshirt with the following printed on the back, " No, I haven't had a bite "
It saved all that turning round to reply to bank walkers!

F

Frothey

when you see people jumping from bait company to bait company, it makes you realise that its the quality of angler that counts, not the bait....but then if you are a "professional" angler, you have to go with the money, dont you? which also gives more respect to those anglers that have stuck with a bait/tackle company for years - even if the "articles" can sound a bit like adverts ;)~

B

Budgie Burgess

Dont think it really does any harm.We all know that there are a lot of porkies told,especially in the area of bait but the ones who know this arnt going to be taken in and the ones who dont are happy in their ignorance.
A well known piker once caught a BIG pike from a reservoir on a sardine from Bejams it was reported as a "blast frozen super duper from company X" When we spoke about this he told me that he very much doubted wether Bejams would have given him a free freezer! but company X had sorted his bait for life! No real harm done eh?

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Well I must admit, that at certain times in my life, I have accepted a bit of sponsership. (Never in the UK) It has never involved cash, just a bit of free tackle from time to time.

I don't mind wearing a cap with "Drennan" or ESP on it beacause they do make excellent equipment. And I often wear my FM cap because I am proud of it. (Mind you I must get another, I gave the last one away.)

However some people go over the top.

Take fly fishing for example. How you look as a fly fisherman has become incredibly important. Not only must you have the right gear, but you must be the right age!!

In the good old days you could wear your tatty old tweeds, your checked cloth cap or deerstalker, an old Royal Mail bag and a cigar tin to keep your flies. As long as you had a rank of at least "Major" you could look as scruffy as you wanted, even on the most exclusive chalk stream.

Today it's a different story.

Your vest (they don't call them waistcoats any more) shirt, waders and baseball cap must all be colour co-ordinated and bear logos from such companies as Sage, Orvis, Fenwick, Thomas and Thomas etc. Nothing Less. It MUST be an American company. Even the august firm of Hardy's, these days is only for Plebs.

Your fishing vest MUST be one of those short ones, and it must bulge at the seams with all the latest gadgets, including a pair of scissors that must have cost at least ?100.

You MUST wear a pair of designer prescription polariods on a sling, and you MUST carry one of those stupid little tennis racket style nets on a "zinger" on your back.

Next come the real test. It must be the attutude of your stance at the water and the look on your face.

You have to scowl and I mean scowl. At the same time you have to assume a semi-stooping stance, almost like a heron.

It is most important that you NEVER show anyone the contents of your fly box.

It does not matter one iota if you never catch a fish. It is the image you are projecting that counts.

And never arrive at a trout water in an S reg diesel Citroen SAXO. Even if you empty the water you will be classified as a poacher.

And NEVER cast well. If you are seen throwing a beautiful line on the water, you a liable to be expelled from the fishery.

It's terrible for the modern young macho fly angler to be shown up by a doddering old coffin dodger who can chuck 40 yards.

J

jason fisher

i totally agree ron you shouldn't go around showing people your flies.

anyone who fancies sposoring me to spend the rest of my life fishing and then writing adverts about it please feel free. i promise i will use all the tackle that you supply.

W

Wolfman Woody

Well that's Dave, me, and the Dog.

If it was just a company that was a one product manufacturer I wouldn't mind providing the product was manufactured to my strict specifications. Or at least took on board my design suggestions. I've made a few recommendations to tackle companies in the past and received samples and stuff as a thank you, but hardly sponsorhip.

I have no objection to anyone who wants to accept sponsorship, it's up to them. All that I am saying is it can look hypocritical when you get kicked out of the deal and you start to say that someone elses products are far better than the one that you previously got paid to promote.

And if you are going to wear someones badge, present yourself in a proper manner.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Roll up and see our Graham in Derbyshire with his colour co-ordinated fly fishing outfit and Sage rod as he poses for us all at a prime reservoir, scowling and stooping from the weight of his vest, to say nothing of that monsterous wallet!

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Have you sorted a date out for it yet Ron ???

R

Ron Troversial Clay

I am looking at the Saturday before Easter Eddie.

N

Nick Austin 2

many people who are sponsored only SAY they are using a piece of equipment anyway, so no harm there.. i'd be amazed that some carp fisherman manage to set up their complete end-tackle using products from only one company! i certainly cant and wouldn't want to.
it's something that we have to live with, but it's slightly irritating when, for example, you buy a video about carp fishing and it's really an extended advert! (matt hayes and fox)

F

Frothey

i've <cough> obtained a few french and german carp fishing video's.....they're just the same..