Leaders for Spoding????

T

Tony O'Dell 2

Having just changed my spodding set-up from a convential reel loaded with 12lb line/normal carp rod 2 1/2 test to a dedicated spod rod with a big pit reel, after reading Dave's article on spodding/marking if have loaded my reel up with 6lb line. Any suggestions on what strength leader i need to use, or whether i should use a dedicated tapered carp leader etc?. Also wondered what the best line is to tie the leader to the 6lb mainline?
Any advice would be gratefully received

F

Frothey

i use the esp 15-45lb leaders, though any sea fishing one would be fine

"dedicated tapered carp leader...." that'll be the green sea fishing one then.....

C

Carp Angler

6lb mainline seems a tad light.
Although I use 20lb braid on my spod rod which has the diameter of 4lb mono.
Leaders?
I use 30lb amnesia, just to save shredding my finger with the repeated casting of braid.

J

jason fisher

drennan greased wheasel tapered sea leaders.
veals, poingdestres and many more do em mail order,
if you want to feather the spod in your 6lb line is too light, tournament casters can get away with it because they dont feather, you'd be better off with 10lb some thing like daiwa sensor or tournament.
in my opinion anyway.

F

Frothey

funny how 6lb line was fine for fishing with not so long ago. no need to feather if you can judge the cast ;)

C

Carp Angler

Jason,
although I use Greased Weasel myself for beachcasting, as well as the Drennan tapered ones, I thought that tournament casters had banned Greased Weasel because of too many crack offs.

Dave,
when was 6lb line fine for carping?

F

Frothey

mid 80's...and 3oz was a really heavy lead, 2 3/4lb rods were a bit extreme....1kg of bait lasted a season....and lakes werent weedy.

all i was getting at is that your unlikely to break 6lb line reeling in a spod

J

jason fisher

ok then frothey
i'll concede you wont break it reeling in but you might have a bit of trouble if you are spodding clipped up. and aiming a long way out.

didn't know about the crack offs ban rick, i recommended it because that's what i use when i'm beach casting and spodding,
the only crackoff's i've had beach casting were on over runs i've never had a leader go on me.

I

Ian Whittaker 1

I thought leader strength was based on 10lb per ounce being cast. Does this not apply to spodding?

F

Frothey

all i'll say jason is that i've NEVER broken 6lb line when spodding at any distance...like i say, judge the cast.....

Ian - yes it does, but unless your doing full on tournament pendulum casting, you wont break 45lb leaders casting

T

Tony O'Dell 2

Okay...compromise...i will load up with 8lb instead.....what knot do you suggest to tie the 8lb to the leader.....i assume there will be quite a mismatch in diameter....

Quick Question Rik....what braid are you using for spodding?

J

jason fisher

can you presume that everyone is as acomplished at casting as you frothey.
that they could hit a dustbin lid at 150 yards without any feathering at all.
i know for a fact i need lots of casting practice before i could say that.
since i had my last rear end shunt my shoulders have tightened up no end and i can't even guarantee the direction at the moment. so i think i might leave my spod at home for the teach in.

D

Deecy

30lb Micronite fly line backing, no stretch , nice neat needle knot, white shows up well.Used in conjuction with 8lb nylon.There is a difference between feathering line and stopping it dead!!

F

Frothey

I cant cast 150 anymore (ever?) jason, but as tenchboy says, you can feather the cast before it hits the clip....also if you hit the clip hard, with the stretch in the mono it'll spring back 10 yds or so, defeating the object of the clip. without injury, you should be able to judge the cast so that it hits the clip just as it hits the water.

J

jason fisher

i agree frothey you should but what if you get it wrong everyone makes mistakes occasionally, would you still say the 6lb is strong enough then,
if you can convince me i might even make the change on my own kit so i'm not being confrontational here.
if for instance i over hit one and realise that i need to stop it quite hard will the 6lb cope.
i guess what i'm saying is can it cope with some one as incompetent as me.

F

Frothey

the stretch should you to get away with it - i've never had the problem, even had it wrap around the butt ring before and not snap - but then i rarely fish more than 80yds or so, so i'm not casting all that hard anyway. stick with what your confident with. if you can reach the spots you're casting to, then you dont need to go any finer anyway...

C

Carp Angler

Tony in answer to your question, the only braided mainline that I ever use is Power Pro.

Sorry Dave, but I really think that 6lb doesn't leave any room for error.
If you're only fishing at 80yds, then why the need for fine mainline?
I could cast a loaded spod with 20lb mainline 80yds.

F

Frothey

cos i havent changed it from when i DID need it to be fine!