River advice

Bill Taylor

Reaction score
I am fishing the Lido waters in stratford in a few weeks and would apreciat any advice on this water. I need to know baits and what method will work best on this strech of river. It's my first season match fishing and I want to compete as best I can

T

Terry Comerford

Bill, not fished the Lido waters for a couple of years, but I do remember that methods tactics and baits are very diverse.
Long pole with rigs of 4x14 float, 0-9mm main line to 0-7mm hooklength with number 8s and 12s down to give a slow drop in the sluggish flow, 18s/20s size hooks, with a number 5 elastic.
A secondary heavier rig of 1gr float,
0-10mm mainline, 0-8mm hooklength, with an olivette at three quarters depth, and 12s as droppers below, finished off with a size 18 hook,and number 6 elastic, should see you armed to deal with fish feeding at all levels.
Waggler, stickfloat and feeder tactics can also score on the day, so a range of tackle needs to be set up.
Baits of hemp, casters, bronze and red maggots, and chopped worm, all take good catches on the Lido.
Constant feeding of small amounts, is the key on the stretch.
Roach, skimmers, perch, dace,chub,bream and gudgeon, are the targets.
There's also a chance of a barbel or two, so meat and corn could be added to the bait list.
If its up and coloured, link legered, whole lobworms rolled around the swim, take a number of the bigger fish.
Let us know how you get on.

Bill Taylor

Reaction score
Thanks very much for the advice , I had planned to use chopped worm and float set up. I don't use a pole I use rod and reel. As you may know it's my first season on the match fishing sean. I had my first competition last sunday on the canal it was a disaster four hours in the freezing cold wind and not a bite. But even the more hardend anglers blanked to. I fished as a guest with the club last December and won it was a supprise to me too. So I think that Iwas over confident this time. My biggest concern is that I blank again at the end of the month on the lido. And only having basic takle I need all the help I can get. So thank you again and if you have any other thoughts please feel free to contact me . Good fisshing and thank you,

T

Terry Comerford

Bill, there are some large chub, roach and perch, that can be taken close in (2 rods out) on float tactics on the Lido.
Stick floats of 3BB to 5BB shotted with number eights in groups if the flow is strong,or spread down the line if its slow, will give you enough variations to cope with most pegs.
Chopped worm can be fed in balls of molehill soil this time of the year, so you're not filling the fish up.
An alternative feeding method is chopped worm in a bait dropper.
Bronze maggot as a change bait with a few reds could be fed on a waggler line at mid river, constantly feed this line while you're fishing the stickfloat line, 4AAA waggler, 3AAA at the base of the float, with number 8s spread or grouped, down the line.
Switch to the waggler every 30 mins or so.
Maggot feeder to the far bank, can also take chub, bream, and skimmers.
If its up and coloured, roll a 3AAA link leger around the peg with a big lobworm on.
Let us know how you get on.