Float Rod - Picking the Right One

Matt Trubow

Reaction score
I'm an American Angler who now lives in Manchester and I'm not familiar enough with the methods of fishing here to determine the perfect rod for the type of fishing I am going to be doing on a regular basis. I was wondering if someone out there could suggest a float rod for fishing the Manchester Ship Canal. I have decided to start with float fishing and then move on to ledgering. I intend to fish for normal coarse fish as well as predators with the rod. If there is a float rod available for canal fishing that will also work for carp in a commercial that would be ideal. Any suggestions would be helpful. Also if someone would point me to the best on-line tackle dealer I would appreciate that as well.

Thanks,

Matt

Jon Breckon

Reaction score
Hi Matt,

Finding the perfect rod is always going to be tricky. What's more, finding a rod that will deal with normal coarse fish as well as predators is probably one step too far. Here's my thoughts;

If you opt for a 13ft waggler style rod, this will cover a number of different options. It is the basic float rod and most people own one, in various guises. The 13ft length allows you to fish both canal, pond, lake and even river. As a (very) general rule, lines from 2lb to 4-5lb could be used here and therefore you have the potential to fish for smaller species as well as some commercial carp waters. There are waggler rods that are specifically designed for commercial waters (usually have the name 'carp' somewhere in their description) and will cope with slightly heavier mainlines and will allow you to fish comfortably for decent sized fish. It's not unknown for a 15lb fish to be caught using such a rod. Personally, i'd stick to a general waggler rod for now. Shimano naturally offer good value for money, but you are spoilt for choice really.

Although I don't fish for predators i'm not able to help with this part of your question. However, as above, i'd stress that you're going to need a specific rod for these.

As for online tackle dealers, have a look at the Shopping Partners section of this website. I've bought items from WMAC and Humberside Angling, and on both occasions the service was excellent. If at all possible, try to visit a local tackle dealer too. I don't think you will ever be able to beat the personalised service a local shop can offer!

B

BarbelandChub

Try the maver runner float rodi have used it for about six months and it copes well with commercial carp and rive stick float fishing. as for the online shop, try swiftys fishing tackle or leslies of luton

J

jason fisher

matt if you've still got your lure rod and lures then use them for piking on the canal, if you haven't then you might get a shock at british lure prices.

you can't use the same rod for pike fishing that you will for float fishing they are just too different.
if you decide to buy a pike rod then look for some thing around 12 feet long with a 3lb test curve that will cover you for the majority of pike fishing.

a decent 13 foot match rod will be ideal for most float fishing situations but for the bigger fish such as you find in commercial fisheries you would be better with a power match or carp match rod.
on canals you need to use very fine presentations usually for smaller fish the match rod will do this fine but the power rods will be a bit stiff for the lightest set ups.

or you could look at some thing like a john wilson avon quiver.

this will work with heavier lines for commercial fish plus you get the additional quiver tips.

again it is a bit too heavy for canals but you might just get away with it.

A

Albert Watkinson 2

among others i have a leeda assasin power carp 13ft rod.not the best finished rod but at ?39 it is more than capable of handling big fish.
albert