high protien baits eels dont eat

C

Carp Angler

I have never caught an eel on a boilie, hopefully, that's just luck on the waters that I fish, because I do know of eels being caught on all manner of baits, including maize and tigers.
I think that eels in certain lakes will eat anything, whereas in other lakes they will stick to bloodworm or fish.

If you're unlucky enough to fish a water where the eels will eat anything, then I don't think you'll stop them by changing your boilie recipe.

F

Frothey

birdfoods, fishmeals, milks, fruity, savoury or fishy - everything that swims luvs 'em!

D

Dave Slater

They will eat anything. I have even caught a couple on floating crust !!

C

Carp Angler

bloody hell Dave, that's pretty crap luck.

I did spend 2 1/2 years on a pit in Ringwood trying to catch eels, never succeeded.
Another guy I fished with, was on there for 3 1/2 years and had one at 10oz, two days later he had a 6lb 5oz. So the wait was worth it.

C

Cakey

I dont know much about eels (nor do I want to)but Ive had a few out on boilies but the lakes have always been near the sea.
are they different ?

Oscar The Grouch

Reaction score
Mr Mat, my water has the same problem with the eels. I know not all waters are the same but two baits they dont seem to go for at my lake are Richworth Tutti's and Mistral Rosehip isotonics. You have to use ready mades/airdried baits, the frozens are generally too soft and can get ripped of the hair by them.

C

Carp Angler

I think it was Doc Garner who wrote an article which said that eels don't like trout pellets (trout not carp or coarse pellets) because they are made with oils that aren't fresh and eels shy away from non-fresh oils.

jp

Reaction score
I've caught a couple of eels on trout pellet paste, but what I have experienced during a few barbel sessions on the river is that sometimes you can't get a bite from an eel on TP paste and yet as soon as a bit of LM goes on the hook they are at it, this is within seconds of it going in the swim, replace the meat with TP and it goes dead again.

So there are times when eels won't touch it, it could be that the pellets the paste was made from were not particularly fresh, but the same paste has caught other species.

B

Budgie Burgess

Eels on boilies was a major pain on the waters I used to manage on Romney Marsh.Nicholls at Hythe also produced some snakes on them.Believe it or not I and many other of the lads who fished these waters found fishmeal base and fish oil flavoured baits the less attractive to them,Milk protiens with confectionary type flavours the worse.

carp mat

Reaction score
its a low stocked water there is 12 carp in 10 acers there are no other bottom feders in the lake every kind of boilie has failed from ready mades to course bird food fishmeals were the worst even the pike anglers have problems on sea baits the eels in question are the fish eating variety trout pellets failed missrebley

C

Carp Angler

if I was fishing a lake where the carp were the only bottom feeders(except the eels), then boilies is probably the last bait I would be trying.

I'd be on the particles straight away.

G

Gary Knowles 2

Artifical corn or tigers, etc. over a bed of particles would be worth a try. What do you think Rik ?

F

Frothey

i reckon maggots, but set out to catch as many eels as possible. that way you'll catch nuisance carp all night, and not get a sniff from anguilla!

G

Gary Knowles 2

Cheers Rik....

6oz of lead and the river 4m up, not for the faint hearted !!!!!!!

F

Frothey

4m up? i didnt go this week cos the swim was a bit muddy, might've got the slippers dirty....

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Yeah, well done mate.

Local church roof is leaking then!