braid or mono

terry byatt 3

Reaction score
HELP!!!!!!!!!!
What are the advantages if any in using mono over braid and visa versa also why dont the venues in France allow braid?
Thanks
Terry

Jez

Reaction score
Hi Terry
There are hundreads of reasons why braid or mono would fit each situation.
Braid having little or no streach and a thinner diamiter than mono for its breaking strain. Will assist with feature finding on a marker float and casting distances. Also brilliant for cutting down the drag from running water. Mono is less obvious in the water, sinks better, and the added stretch helps when playing fish.
French fisheries do not allow braid because in the main the fish are bigger than most are used to playing on 3lb+ rods, with no strech and a strong fish, many a "hook pull"
or as I call them "Face Rip" occurs.
Also braids used for carp angling are in excess of 20lb bs. A teatherd fish is nearly always a dead fish.
My advice is stick with mono on your fishing rods, and use braid on your marker rod. Mono is a lot cheaper and a lot more fish friendly.

martin close

Reaction score
Hi Terry

Braids are great for lure and predator fishing but not for general coarse angling, I would use one as my main line with a long mono shock leader when targeting pike or zander, they are good for very weedy or snaggy swims as you can get a better picture of the bottom and it's less susceptible to abrasion, but for carp, stick to good quality mono, it is much more forgiving with fine rods and small hooks than braid.

Martin