Are there snipers

• Thread starter Ron Troversial Clay
  • Start date
R

Ron Troversial Clay

Richard Lee - editor of Angling Times, has today mentioned in the editorial that certain people on some websites are having conversations that he describes as sickening.

Richard mentions wild attacks on companies, slurs on individuals and general nastiness.

I sincerely hope he is not targeting this web site.

Other than having a bit of banter from time to time, I am sure that the vast majority of our members have only ever offered constructive criticism, of Richard's and other angling publications.

Nothing wrong with that, but we don't slag anyone off personally, do we?

I hope not.

C

Carp Angler

Only you Ron and all carp anglers obviously.

I think that the majority of posters on this forum are mature and sensible in their outlook and comments.

I do view other sites and some of the comments and arguments I've seen have been vitriolic and quite nasty.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

However I am sure you know that I have the greatest respect for yourself, Cakey, Frothey, Jeff, The Monk and even yes - Scouser Eddie.

C

Carp Angler

I think it stems from being able to respect other peoples views, even if you don't agree with them.

I've lost count of the number of times I've read on this site comments such as "we'll agree to disagree" or variations of it.
Just as any normal person would.
It only seems to degenerate into slanging matches when people aren't intelligent enough to argue their point, luckily on here we don't seem to suffer from that too much.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Although from time to time a few of us may have crossed keyboards on this website, make no mistake, when we have met, or have had the odd telephone conversation, we have been immediatly, the best of friends.

We are all mates on FM!

Come and meet the guys at our FM fly fishing fish-in in April.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

And watch me get tied in knots trying to cast .......

T

The Dog

I read Richard Lees editorial and had that strange feeling of guilt you get when you walk through customs even though you really do have nothing to declare.

That said we should all be careful to treat all other members with respect even if they slip up and tread on a few toes.

D

Dave Slater

Hi Richard,
Any chance of you putting a post on this thread to clarify things? Perhaps you could say if FM is one of the sites you refer to, or not as the case may be? I would be very surprised if it was. I love the banter and piss taking on the site. Big Des would, I am sure, enjoy this as well with his sense of humour. I do think some people take things too seriously. I am sure you are not one of those people Richard, which is why I do not think FM can be one of the sites you refer to. I hope catch a huge chub from the Nene before the end of the season.
Cheers,
Dave

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
Problem being Dave, that every other site
would ask for a reassurance that it was'nt
them, and quite rightly so if it had been
granted to FM. And that would inevitably
leave someone out in the open, with possible
repercussions.

G

Gary Knowles 2

Very true Merv, however I'd be amazed if he was referrring to FM as in the main personal attaks are pretty rare on here, but I do echo his sentiments entirely.

There are loads of internet numpties out there who seem to scan various forums 24/7 trying to find something they can whinge about.

R

Richard Lee

Nothing to do with this site lads, to be honest my original editorial praised fishingmagic, however the subs got hold of it and hacked the thing to pieces.
I think we all agree mindless bitching is out of order - the stuff that was sent to me related to a couple of individuals and a major tackle company. None of it was constructive, just wild accusations without a single fact behind them. Pathetic really - I think these idiots should be banned from the sites.

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
Thank you Richard for saying it was'nt FM,
and making my previous message irrelevant,
you f###ing, t##spot,sh##house, tw#t of an
Editor.

That was'nt too personal was it????????????

D

Dave Slater

Thanks Richard,
I didn't think it would be FM. Let us know if you catch a nice big Nene chub.

T

The Dog

Had a little look around the net and was quite surprised at some of the stuff I found on other forums. The posts on FM, AN and RMC tend to be a lot more friendly/ civilised than some on the other sites out there.

On one Richard was being lambasted for his comments in yesterdays editorial !

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I don't disrespect any single person whatsoever,
I treat everyone with an equal ammount of contempt.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

That's right, typical northerner.

(Rotherham is in the Midlands)...... :eek:)

L

Lee Fletcher 1

Dear Ron,

Being a shrinking violet myself, I don't understand the need on "some" websites for personal attacks. I've even seen open war fare break out on gardening sites!!! Something about one ladies melons being larger than another ladies???!!!!

Now a days I spend a lot of time on cross stitch or pottery websites.

And would you know it? Some fella only the other evening emailed me to say I had a history of burning angling politicians at the stake with my comments!!!??? I absolutely and steadfastly refute that observation.

Anyone got any dry matches?

As for the Angling Times? Brilliant, super, magic, terrific. Never leave home without it. Taught me everything I know about fishing, honestly. Richard Lee? Brilliant, super, magic, terrific. Tall, dark, handsome, James Bond look-a-like.

But: Des who???

Regards,

Lee.