Terror on the bank?

D

Deecy

The Angling Times tells us there is terror on the banks with gangs stealing gear from anglers whilst they fish.Anyone on here been subjected to such attacks.

A

Ashe Hurst

Not since i was a kid about 20 yrs ago, but often here of incidents involving gangs roaming the lakes and raiding bivies and beating anglers, or setting bivies on fire as a final insult.

T

The Dog

I've had various bits of trouble over the years which kind of goes with the territory when you fish alone as much as I do. Sadly most of it has been from a small number of fellow anglers and it has invariably been When I have been catching a lot of fish.

In December 1994 someone stole my rods reels and buzzers whilst I was fishing Startops in a wild storm. My dog was asleep under my bechair and didn't even wake up so they must have been pretty professional.

P

Phil Hackett 2

Had a slight bit of trouble 2 weekends ago on a Warrington water. Two cars stopped on the lane between the two lakes (Bridal path and un-adopted road.) several youths got out and were congregating around my car. With the intention to do what I don’t know, but I judged no good. What they didn’t know was, I was fishing only 20 yards away from it and they hadn’t seen me. Out came the solid ally brolly spike and up the bank I ran waving the brolly spike like a sword.

Oh you should have seen them get back in their cars and go………. One very mad Manc running at them with the full intentions of doing some serious damage to anyone of them that wanted to hang around and have ruck.

In the past I’ve had my car broken into four times on other waters, and it ain’t going to happen again, not if I can catch the scumballs in the act!

Just in case they decided to come back, I strategically place several large rocks on the burn that separates the lake from the road. The road is a gravel road and you can hear any cars coming from a long way off. Had they come back those rocks were going through their windscreens and no mistake.

Right or wrong, I’m not going to be a victim again if I can help it. I will victimise the victimisers, of that there is no doubt! Nicest bloke in the world me, until some body want to damage me, my family or my property, and then…………

Daniel Matley

Reaction score
I've never had any problems myself but my my eldest boy and his cousin were mugged last summer as they came off the River Goyt by three 16-18 year olds.

They stole all of their fishing tackle and their bikes as well. No harm came to the lads fortunately and the insurance company where very quick to replace all of the missing items but if I ever come across these cowards then they will be in for a shock from me....no danger of that.

On another occassion a guy I used to work with did a night sessionon Sale Water Park and woke then next morning to discover his rods, pod and buzzers all missing. Not the only instance I believe on this water.

D

Deecy

message to Richard Lee , is your poll having a similar response?

R

Richard Huggett 1

Not so much terror on the bank, but I had all my tackle stolen a while back. One of the lads at work did some detective work and discovered the identity of the little git. When I approached him with an ultimatetum...'give me my tackle back or else'...he threatened to have my house burnt down. I know a bloke who has a mate who knows a bloke...suffice it say that the little sod had his car stolen [ oh dear...]. What we got for the sale of the car went towards replacing my tackle....I heard afterwards that he sold my tackle for the price of an armful of shit...I could have given him that willingly.

Of course, the local police were more than helpful...gave me a crime number and that was it. What the f*ck do I pay my council tax for ?

S

simon hall

I have never had any trouble touch wood but my uncle a few years back kept getting his car broken into when he was fishing. Anyway what he did was he got a board of wood about half an inch thich and banged 10 six inch nails in it, he then placed the board under his seat cover on the drivers seat with the nails pointing upwards everytime he left his car while he was fishing. One day came back to the car and noticed the drivers door was open with quite a bit of blood on the seat and a big trail on the floor. He always said the first thing they do when breaking in is jump into the drivers seat. If any of you guys try this remember to remove the board\nails before you jump in the motor.

T

Tony Myatt

no doubt he?ll get a few more pricks in his arse if he?s ever detained at HMs pleasure

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Nice one Simon I like it.

Sale Water Park.... Hop Goblin country keep away.

I

Ian Whittaker 1

Despite it being a dodgy place it still gets fished though!

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Ian,
I saw a photo of it in the angling press years ago, there was a chap fishing with his bicycle chained to the railings behind himself. That was good enough warning for me, appart from what I'd heard.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

The best I ever heard of was the bloke who built a set of flame throwers around his car so that he could torch car-jackers.

It worked too, he got two of them, burned them alive he did.

The report was in the Joburg Star ca 1995.

For me I always carry my Zulu spear in my quiver when I am alone.

Give 'em cold steel is what I say Captain Sir, they don't like it up 'em sir.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Good stuff Ron,
I saw an antiques programme years ago where the panel had to guess what the object was.
In this case it was a spring loaded metal spike built whithin a bicycle seat. When a thief or whoever sat on the seat, this spike shot up and it was about 10 inches long. I wonder why it never sold? No sir they certainly don't like it up em.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Which reminds me Ron,
A Zulu punishment I think thought up by Shaka, he had peoples wrists bound to their ankles so that the were in a squating position. Then he had a sharpened wooden spike driven into the ground and sat the poor unfortunates on it, so their own body weight gradually and very slowly killed them. Some times he would have a spike pushed just inside their jacksy, then give it a good whack with a mallet.
No sir they don't like it up em.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

The Zulus had nothing on the Catholics during the inquisition.

Some of the most hidious and vile methods of torture were devised during the reign of Queen Isabella and King Ferdinand in Spain.

I have often wondered how people who claim to be Christians could concieve such evil!

J

jim turner

i am 17 and not small by any means, im 6ft 2 and very broad and work out at the gym regulary. But im not a violent person!! im actually scared to go fishing some places be it alone or with friends simple because some place i have fished just arent safe!! one incident springs back... i was a bowmans lakes and me and a friend were threated by a group of 10 irish gypies they said they were gonna beat us up, then steal our stuff, nedless to say we left!!!! also i enjoy fishing canals serveral ocassions i left due to gangs and drunk/drugged individuals. now i fish my club lakes which are behing lock and key and also other lakes which hafve high security or very busy. so in answer.... yes, i have! but

On a last note... i was on the canal a few weeks ago 'tipping for chub when some woman started throwing little pebbles into my swim needles to say i questioned her reasons, with something like.... ' what the f%&* are you doing you dozy mare?' she told me she was doing this to scare away the fish as fishing was cruel, i tried to continue fishing, but she continued to taunt me, so i just told her to p*ss off, and it took her 1/2 hour to go and she only left after i 'promised to go'and called her a 'stupid hippy' needles to say i stayed and caught some nice chub. i was propbably a bit rash but id paid good money for that session. sorry mine seem worse than yours!!! but i guess those r my experinces!