What to use as a MUDWEIGHT for a SPORTYAK boat?

Steve Plant

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm just looking for ideas...

I'm looking for something to use as a single anchor/mudweight for use with the smaller of the Sportyak boats. I'm not fishing from the boat at anchor, but just want something smallish but heavy that will hold me in position for placement of markers/weed dragging & then baiting up on a bream fishing session.
I have got a home made concrete mud weight that I've used before thats fine in a flat calm or a gentle breeze, but looking for something heavier that will hold me in position when theres a bit of a swell on (which there usually is where I'm fishing).
I've seen guys use the cast iron stallholder weights. I know they do 56lb weights but I think this maybe a bit too heavy. Any ideas if they do lesser weights & where do you get them from?
I've also thought of getting some old dumbell weights & lashing them together?

What do other people use?

Cheers, Steve.

richiekelly

Reaction score
a friend used to use the brake discs from a saracen armoured car when he worked at the place that built them, they were a pig to get off the bottom.

Steve Plant

Reaction score
anyone know what would be the ideal weight to get would be for my boat? don't want it too heavy but not too light either?
Weightlifting discs by their shape I'm sure would 'suck' to the bottom especially on a silty bottomed lake....

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Try Spiders,

Enough weight in his head, full of ****. Pass the rope in one ear and out the other, tie a knot above his head, a nice bow will do, in PINK for the Ladyboy:D;).

But try Ed's way, it works fine, make up two tins, one at 2.5 lts the other at 5 lts, that way you can find out what one works best.

Steve Plant

Reaction score
I've used the paint tin weights before, was just hoping to get something a little smaller/more compact & with more density to it...a mate who fishes my water uses an inflatable boat, he uses a length of cast iron rod about 12 inches long & about 4 inches in diameter (cue the jokes :)), that holds his dinghy in place all day in any boating conditions...

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
...a mate who fishes my water uses an inflatable boat, he uses a length of cast iron rod about 12 inches long & about 4 inches in diameter...

Blimey. What test curve is that? :)

I think you covered all the cheap options. On a boat that small you don't want an anchor too heavy or you'll end up swamping it when you try to pull it up.

heathbryant45

Reaction score
i use an old sash weight, perfect for the job......

weight2.jpg

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
they hook in and in a light boat you cant pull it up or you pull the boat under
There is a way around that problem using a buoy or large inflatable fender and a short piece of rope. Difficult to explain but the short rope with fender attached is tied, sliding fashion, to the anchor rope. Then all you have to do is drive the boat upstream of the anchor and the buoy lifts the anchor off the bottom easy as pie.

If that doesn't work then you really are up the creek.

preston96

Reaction score
Steve.........i have recently treated myself to the larger Yak, the "fisherman" one, want to use it to drop on the Wye, Seven and Avon.

Aother twist on the cement/paint tin is to use drain pipe or similar tubes cut to the desired length, chain or rope secered in place and then the tube filled with concrete.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
There is a way around that problem using a buoy or large inflatable fender and a short piece of rope. Difficult to explain but the short rope with fender attached is tied, sliding fashion, to the anchor rope. Then all you have to do is drive the boat upstream of the anchor and the buoy lifts the anchor off the bottom easy as pie.

If that doesn't work then you really are up the creek.

Or the 'weak-link' anchor, which is a much better option, using a cable tie as a weak link and attaching the rope to the 'other' end of the anchor. See Eric Edwards boat articles - esp this one