John Darling

R

Richard Huggett 1

For those of you who don't know, well known Sussex angler John Darling passed away on January 22nd aged 57. John, or JD as he was known, was a real nice guy, he came across me thrashing the water at Darwell Reservoir on my first attempt at fly fishing and offered advice with my casting. Suffice it to say he spent the best part of his day teaching me to cast and catch my first trout....typical of John, he would do anything for anybody. He was known as a shore angler, fly fisher, a crack shot with a 12 bore, and all round bloody nice bloke. He will be sorely missed. Condolences to his wife Sandra.

Rest easy JD...

D

Deecy

Very sorry to hear that, his description of winter beach cod fishing really was one of those pieces of writing that stirs one into a new pastime.For anyone who thought instructional angling articles boring just read one of Mr Darlings, brilliant.

P

pons

Thats very sad ,as I used to love his writings on Trout,but more than that on Bass fishing on the chalky ground below Beachy head,catching on crab.
He was also a gifted photographer,and although I never met him ,he was an inspiration to "young" Ponsford at that time .
I also remember the name of his welsh chum,Nick Stuparyk,being mentioned in despatches frequently.Are you still around Nik ?
My respects to his loved ones,
Respectfully,
Chris Ponsford.

W

Welsh Goff

Sad news i read today, John did an article for Sea Angler with me titled smoothhounds on a ray day.
The article was fishing for thornback ray, uptiding in the Bristol Channel, John was one of the boys a great laugh full of life and stories.
All the boys on the boat really took to him, like i said one of the boys.
Condolences to all his family

Nick Stuparyk a very good mate of Johns, and a excellent smoothhound angler