Great Anglers

R

Ron Clay

With the recent deaths of two of angling's greats: Peter Stone and Bernard Venables. I would like to put the question, just what it is that makes an angler great. Is it the ability to put lots of big fish on the bank? Or is it the ability to win lots of matches? Personally I think that it's neither of these.

What do you think makes an ordinary fisherman into a great one?

M

MARK FRAME

imagination,dedication and not following the crowd daring to be different

P

Philip Inzani

Ability to catch more or bigger fish than anyone else.

If you ask me who are the greatest angling writers or the greastest angling influencers then I may give a different anwser.

A

Alan Roe

S'funny I could have sworn that we did this subject not that long ago

P

Philip Inzani

yep, I thought so too, although I think it was hidden within a thread on solmething else. Still it seemed to be a good one then so why not go for it again..there are some new posters since the last time so maybe we will get some alternative veiws this time around.

....by the way Alan, like the new picture!

D

Davy North

What makes a great angler?

Obvously their angling ability, and the urge to inovate, communicate and inspire others. In a way that makes you think "Yeah I can do that".

A

Alan Roe

Phil - Thanks very much (blush)!
The question of 'Great Anglers' will hinge on the precise definition on the word Great.
Some of the finest anglers I ever met never wrote a word in there lives but if you asked would help you at anytime. They never saw themseleves as being 'Great Anglers'.
So methinks tis possible that many of those who are accorded the accolade of 'Greatness' are those who have been able to communicate and thus their 'Greatness'may well be contextuallised within their ability to commuicate as opposed to or in addition to their skills with the angle.
Verrily therefore the concept of 'Greatness' needs fullsome consideration and agreement before being bestowed on the individual and it's bestowing should always come with explanatory caveate as to the agreed nature of the recipients greatness.!
I hope that this helps clear this matter up a shade!!
Cheers
Alan

G

Gary Magee

WHAT MAKES A GREAT ANGLER: DOES HE REALLY HAVE TO BE THE BEST IN HIS FIELD I DON’T THINK SO. MY DEFINITION OF A GREAT ANGLER IS A GOOD ANGLER WHO PUTS BACK INTO THE SPORT A LOT MORE THAN THE REST OF US. LETS BE HONEST WE ARE AN APATHETIC BUNCH, FOR INSTANCE WE FACE THE BIGGEST THREAT TO OUR SPORT IN ITS HISTORY (I.E. THE DREADED ANTI’S).AND WHAT DO WE CONCERN OUR SELVES WITH? PLEASURE ANGLERS SLAGGING OFF CARP ANGLERS, WHETHER OR NOT A ROACH RECORD IS GENETICALLY PERFECT E.C.T. MY DEFINITION OF THE GREAT ANGLERS OF TOMMOROW ARE THE ANGLERS WHO PUT THEIR HEADS ABOVE THE PARAPIT AND FIGHT OUR CORNER. LETS GIVE THESE PEOPLE THE ACCOLADES NOT ANGLERS WHO SIT BY LAKES FOR MONTHS WAITING FOR ANOTHER LUMP TO PARADE IN THE PRESS.

A

Alan Roe

Gary....At the risk of sounding pedantic the use of capitals on these forums and on the 'net' generally is regarded as shouting!!
This having been said I appreciate the points that you are highlighting

P

Paul Williams

Gary,
A great angler don't go round shouting at everyone either do they!!! PLEASE TURN OFF THE CAPITALS!!!!....it makes my ears hurt.

P

Paul Williams

Alan,
you beat me to it, and such a way with words!! hey mate with that new photo and those ear wotsits you look just like a DJ...perhaps we ought to cal you "Fluff" :eek:)

D

Dave Johnson

Whats this Brummy about DJ's.....dont forget i'll be fishing near you this weekend.....and a DJ fuelled on JD is a dangerous cocktail.....
just spoke with Rik, he's getting his tackle ready......no doubt as is Gay Knowles.....lol

P

Paul Williams

Dave,
I can't make the weekend do, i'm roach fishing in Hampshire Mon/ Tues, mind you Riks doing both!!......i would have loved to be there! Sedge has got a new Bivvy, it's one of those bell shaped bottle banks.....he thinks it will keep the Northern stars out....but i hear Gary can get in anywhere with his twiddlin stick!!
Seriously..all have a good one, our house Martins have arrived.....a sure fire good omen..if only you didn't have you know who to contend with!! lol.

D

Dave Johnson

forgot you were takin 78kilo's of Balti down to Sway......make sure you get some roach out, sounds like a great water.

A

Alan Roe

Paul its the BBC influence hence the 'cans' and the tendency to verbosity. Though to be fair there are many that would argue that I was born with that tendency!:)
I would have loved to have joined in the roach fish in at Sway but we are approaching what should be the end of the Spring Depression season and as yet there is no end in sight so I am busy in the day job!.
Where are you lot fishing this weekend??

G

Gary Magee

Dear Paul Williams

"A GREAT ANGLER DONT go round shouting at everyone EITHER do they" - my writing maybe big but at least its grammatically correct! If you notice I have printed in capitals the errors you made in your response. I hope you find this helpful and will deter you from being so cocky in future.

G

Gary Magee

Dear Paul Roe

If you find me loud you could always put on those SILLY EARPHONES!!!!!!!!

C

Carp Angler

Those amongst the throng that are able to perfectly put across points in a non-offensive and grammatically correct manner, do not normally abuse people who may either be less perfect or who may type in a rush and appear less than perfect.

The irony being that your post correcting Mr Williams has 3 grammatical errors within it.

R

Ron Clay

Gary, you mention that we should be fighting for our sport and not debating hybrids etc. Some of us are fighting for our sport.

Have you written to your MP yet?

P

Paul Williams

Dear Gary Magee,
YO dow now wot yom torkin abart! this is the onny way ta spake un writ the Qaens English!....i only attempt to put into pigeon so that the people like you can understand...Goeth fortheth... :eek:(