Which Fuji guides?

E

Erik Heljefors

Im about to start building my own carprods and has a question. Which type of Fuji Sicguides will be best to use the NSG or The SVSG range? Im building the rods on 2,75lbs Harrison Chimera blanks. Hope you understand my English!
Bend them in!

E

Erik Heljefors

Budgie,Because i like their performance more than any other guides ive seen/used. If thats make me a tackletart im proud to change my name to the tackletartchief! What guides do you use?

B

Budgie Burgess

Erik the Tackle Tart jibe was aimed at Frothey! The reason that I asked why you felt you needed Sic's is that after many years of building rods and using various Fugi rings there is a lot of rubbish wrote about Sic's (No doubt to increase their sales)

1. Sic's have a lower drag coeficient than other ring linings like Aluminium Oxide etc.This is true but the difference is that minimal that in practical terms it offers no noticable inrease in casting distances.

2. Sic's are harder so they last longer. Once again technicaly true but I have never had a standard Fuji BNHG type ring wear out and thats using braid with some quite big fish being landed.

I base this not only on my own rods but the many I have built /repaired for others. Replaced many normal rings for Sic's but never seen any that need replacing!

In general I think that Sic's are both over priced and over rated.Nearest I come is to use a Sic tip and butt ring although it isnt necessary.

The power of marketing is that strong that I once had a guy bring me four brand spanking new carp rods and asked me to strip the rings off and replace them with Sic's!

If you like the look of them then by all means use them,A rod should be built so its apearance pleases you.But dont let them make you pay the extra because you think they are technicaly supoerior!

F

Frothey

nah, stick with the sic's erik, ignore what the old fuddyduddy says. next he'll be telling me full cork handles are purely cosmetic...

E

Erik Heljefors

Budgie and Frothey, thanks for your point of view, but i have to put the rodbuildingplans aside for a while (extremely much bills this month!) Budgie, i have a question for you, do you know any good(cheap) store that sells Harrison blanks and how much is the normal price for a Chimera blank of 2,75 lbs in the U.K.? The price i was suggested by the importer here felt extremely high...
Take care lads!