Air dry and flavours

nick walkington

Reaction score
Could anybody let me know the advantages of air dried boilies?
I am also thinking of adding some dip to some maple-8 readymades and then freezing them in the dip for hookbaits - is this a good idea or should I just dip them before hair rigging them?

F

Frothey

air drys last longer - no need to freeze - and dont split coming out of a throwing stick, though they lose a bit of range as they are lighter
hookbaits - dip and freeze em'

C

Carp Angler

air drieds also soak up more dip than normal.

if it's just for hookbaits, then don't air dry.
It's ideal for the loose feed, but hookers tend to mush, unless you're only leaving them out for short periods

luke vieira

Reaction score
hey,
air dried boillies have the advantage of being really hard so if you are fishing a water other types of fish you will only catch carp

C

Carp Angler

as I said previously, they turn to mush.
When you air dry them, all the mositure goes, so when they are back in the lake, they re-hydrate quickly and crumble.

A

andrew jackson

I think a lot of it is down to the induvidual mix my baits air dry realy well and stay hard enough to withstand the attentions of cray fish. Other mixes mush very quickly as Rik has pointed out. I actualy make a point of air drying my hookbaits so that they last longer. So in light of the contradictory advice I would suggest experimenting with your bait choice before making a decision.

C

Carp Angler

good point Andy,
I rarely use birdfood baits now, so my observations wouldn't encompass those.

A

andrew jackson

No you are right your observations wouldnt encompass bird food baits. Or it would appear, a bait formulated to contain the maximimum amount of fishmeal without being over soft.

Where the hell did the birdy bit come from? LOL