Feature finding question

S

Stuart Harvey

When plumbing up with a lead and float is it best to use a soft or stiff rod?

D

Deecy

If you use braid it makes little difference however my preference is a fast taper rod, stiff butt and middle with a responsive tip.

A

andrew jackson

If you are simply trying to gague depth then it simply doesnt matter as long as the rod can cast the distance. If you are trying to detect the make up of the lake bed by leading around then a soft rod is far better. This is because a soft rod will respond and allow you to feel much more subtle changes at the lead. Your set up will also be much more sensitive if you use braided line on your marker float rod. The first time I tried a marker float with braided line I was simply blown away. A feature that my standard set up using mono didnt detect felt like a boulder field. Running over the same feature with an echo sounder and further investigation showed that is was actualy a shallow bar covered with zebra mussels. A realy good feature that would have been totaly missed with mono.

J

jason fisher

you must have a hell of a fish finder if it can show zebra mussels

A

andrew jackson

Yes it would be a great feature finder if it could locate zebra mussels it would be even better if I owned it in the first place.
However the zebra mussels were noted during the "further investigations" mentioned in my posts.
I find it helps if you actualy read posts before passing comment. LOL :)

A

andrew jackson

Hi Ozz glad to see you have got your computer working again.
I was actualy cut off by the mussels and draged a load of them in while leading around and fishing to the bar.

B

Budgie Burgess

Have to disagree with Andrew on the choice of rod for feature finding.I find a fast taper rod with a sensitive tip is far better as a softer rod absorbs the gentle plucks and pulls of the lead travelling over different bottoms to much.Totally agree about using braid though.

C

Carp Angler

I think I've said on here before (oh for that search function back) I also believe that soft rods absorb all the info, but too stiff and using braid can pull the lead too quickly over the feature.

J

jason fisher

Andrew i reserve the right to be brain dead after a 12 hour shift in a factory

R

Rich Halliday

Hi every one. I find that the best set up to use is a 3lb test curve rod (any make), a 3oz pear shaped lead and 25lb nash bullet braid. I know this from fishing waters such as horseshoe and whelford pools where i have found features that i have previously fished over and didnt even know they were there. Using this set up you get loads of distance if needed, plenty of bottom response and piece of mind that if you pull back into a snag, chances are you'l either pull throgh it or land it, lol.

C

Carp Angler

what is the action of the rod you use Rich?
Soft, middle, tip or variation thereof?

B

Budgie Burgess

For the "best" I think it does matter an ultra fast taper (Inevitably tip actioned)being my preference after using many different types.

B

Budgie Burgess

Oh, just for the record the one Ive been using for some time now is glass fibre if that is relevant?

R

Rich Halliday

I opted for the shimano hyperloop 2004 model at 3lb tc. Its fast action, and i think is mostly in the tip. I like it coz it looks good with the aerlex 6000 fixed to it, its cheap as chips and chucks a marker float with 3oz lead well over 100yrds.

S

Stuart Harvey

thnaks for your replies guys

i think i need to get some braid on my marker reel.