What was your first fish?

Beaker

Reaction score
I guess that this has been asked before,but what was the first fish you caught?if you can remember that far back(for our older readers eg Mr Marsden).
My first fish was a 10oz dab caught off Llandudno pier when I was 13.

fishin4bites

Reaction score
a small roach on the ribble caught on ledgered bread with a fishing set from woolworths 30 years ago, doesnt time fly.

Guy Morris

Reaction score
Eel at Billing Aquadrome, 8 yrs old in 1985, on holiday with family friends, us wee ones were told by my friends father,that we had hooked a Sea Snake, so as you can imagine we were all really keen to deal with it !!!! Im surprised we all were not scarred for life, let alone keep Fishing.

Reaction score
After the crabs from Canoe Lake in Southsea.(don't even go there you dirty minded lot...I was a child!!!)

..it was a rudd from a farm pond in Marden...poor thing flew over my head as I struck!!!!

Rickrod

Reaction score
my mother use too take me stickleback fishing with a little net and jam jar to a park in Bradford.on rod and line i think it was a perch from doe park res or minnows from the river aire

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
6" roach from Finsbury Park boating lake in circa 1950...I was seven at the time...perhaps it was 4" and grown over time!!

...moved onto the New River(as it was called) in Harringay and caught good 'goer' roach and perch before I was 10...then Walthamstow pits,then Regents Park canal....sorry,getting carried a way-silly ol'fool!

Shine

Reaction score
A Saithe. I think they are called Pollocks too, or part of the family. I can't remember. About 11 or 12 with something like this....
agk-9011-ligne-1.jpg

chidorii

Reaction score
my grandad use to take me on walks by the River Sheaf. when I was about 8 I saw some trout topping, I was fascinated. I found a short piece of discarded fishing line (tut tut) and tied a caterpillar to the end. lowering the poor little thing into the water I felt something pull, I still remember the feeling, anyway I tied another caterpillar to the line an inch further up and allowed it to sink to the bottom. within a few mins I felt a tug, I lifted my line and to my surprise there was an ugly little creature that had swallowed the caterpillars deep down! it was of course a Bullhead!

and that's how I got hooked on fishing without a hook hehe.

Windy

Reaction score
I was going to say either a gudgeon or a minnow when I was 10 or so, but on thinking about it I believe that the dear old Mackerel on a hand line with feathers beat 'em both to it by about three or four years when I was about seven.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
It was so long ago, it is hard to remember. The perch was my first fish on a rod and line but there was a pond close to where I grew up where we would catch sticklebacks and newts with a piece of worm tied to a length of cotton, no hooks.

Reaction score
A perch about 4-6oz from below the weir on the Great Ouse at Willington, near Bedford.

Caught with a bamboo pole from my Dad's garden with a Wilco (Woolworths) hook to nylon whipped on the end circa. 1983.

I think I was 12.

Happy days :)

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
My first fish was a Roach from a small lake near my home in Potters Bar, I was 5 years old, it was the year of the great winter 1963, 47 years ago.