types of retrieve...can you help ?

P

Philip Inzani

I dont do a great deal if lure fishing but would like to know more.
Currently, my idea of lure fishing is to whack out a lure as far as I can and crank it back in. If I am in the mood I might stop winding to let a lure sink or float up a bit or if I am feeling really racy I might try the odd rod top wobble, but thats about it!!!!!

As you can see I am sadly lacking so can anyone describe some good basic retrieves that I could try ? If you start using words like "rip" or "figure of 8" then I'm lost so go easy with me! Many Thanks.

C

Chris Bishop

Best advice anyone gave me was: "Try as many different things as you can think of.
"Sooner or later you'll either catch one or the pubs will open."

D

David Will

It is very difficult to put into print what is required. Different lures dmand different retrieves.
My advice is to ring Harris Angling and ask them for a couple of books or videos .One on crankbaits and one on Jerk baits.These will be American titles but are worth every penny if you are serious about improving your technique. Good luck.

P

Paul Williams

Philip,
I'm no lure expert but i find it strange that only a couple have answered this one!!! my own way is to work the lure/spinner/spoon close in or from the back of a boat and try to work out how the lure should be worked, but Chris's advice sounds better :eek:)

R

Rob Brownfield

Its very much a try and see thing. I could right 3 pages to thie question, but I will try and summerise my thoughts.

Top water jerkbait, ie Zara Spook = Walking the Dog. Lift the rod high and give a series of 6-9inch jerks up the way. U will see the lure jeky from side to side in a zig zag patten. Always keep a tightish line.

Top water crawler, ie Crazy Crawler = Cast out, leave to sit for a few seconds, then start a steady retrive holding the hod high. Vary the speed until the lure starts to "clip clop" across the water. U will know it is correct when u see it.

Top water popper, ie Rapala Skitter PoP = Cast out and leave for a few seconds. Now, u can either bring it back in a series of skitters and pops with the odd pause or u can Deadstick retriev which involves a rapid "rip" across the surface, and then a very long pause, upto a couple of minutes, then anoth rip.

Shallow divers, ie Rapala minnows, Bombers etc = Cast out, leave for a few seconds. Give several turns of the handle to get the lure under the surface, Now, you can either wind in steady, add twitches and flicks or rip the lure in. Ripping is just that...wind hard whilst sweeping the rod tip round. This causes the lure to lay on its side and swim very erratically. Works well in warm water. You can also retieve and pause, letting the lure rise in the water, them winding again.

Deep divers, ie Bucher Depthraiders etc = Similar to the shallow lures, but you can also bounce the bottom. This kicks up mud and stuff on the bottom that can attract Pike and Perch.

Glide/shaft baits, ie Eddie bait, Smitty No.1 etc = Cast out, let settle for a few seconds, now, using a sweeping action downwards, use a series or sweeps whilst winding in. This causes the lure to arc left or right and down. Its like walking the dog, but under water.

Flipper baits, ie Flippers, Dolphins, Bagley B flats etc = Cast out and let settle. Retrive with a series of taps and twitches and pauses interspersed with the odd sweep. Try and see the lure in the water. U can get amazing actions into these baits by working the rod and varying the speed of retrieve. One method that works for me in the summer is to cast out, and then wind in fast whilst tapping the rod down about a foot with every turn of the handle.

Spinnerbaits = Either burn them under the surface (very fasr retrieve) or use a steady retrive, or fish them sink and draw. U can alsi jig them under the rod tip.

I have obviously left out loads of lures etc, but I hope I have covered most general retrives. I hope this has helped.
Regards
Rob

P

Philip Inzani

Definatly that helps, great thanks.
In terms of the rod position it seems you are generally looking to have the rod held fairly high on the retrive. I have chatted to a few guys lure anglers who seemed! to know all there was to know but the advice on the position of the rod seems pretty variable, some say point at the lure, some say side on, some sort of do both....I would have thought stright on could cause problems on the take as the pull is direct to the line but then again side on would cusion the hooks going in a bit....any general advice on that point or is it horses for courses ?

R

Rob Brownfield

ahhhh...i did not make that clear, sorry. When using Top Water baits, the rof is held high so that the line and trace are clear of the water. Some lures are affected if the line is dragging in the water (Bear in mind, I am talking heavy 50 pound braid here).

When using normal crankbaits etc, I hold the rod slightly to one side and slightly below the horizontal.

When Jerkbaiting I sweep and tap the rod down and keep it low. This helps keep the jerkbait under the surface.

hope this explains ok.