Help

W

Willie McKinnon

What are the uses for this rod. Thanks confused sea angler.Willie...

W

William Spencer

bomb rods are very soft,for shy bites or close range legering on canals or stillwaters.most come not with push in tips but two top sections the reason for this is the action of the rod is better and not hampered in any way by a push in quiver.the top sections are normally half ounce and three quarter ounce test curves,they do have place in an anglers armoury,but,unfortunately the size carp targetted by contributers to the carp forum would smash the rod.on small commercial stillwaters where pasties are targetted the bomb can be deadly.it's absolutely bang on for finicky roach.
don't be put off using one,with balanced tackle i landed my pb seven and half pound tench two years ago.

W

Willie McKinnon

William,
Thanks very much for your informed reply. You have saved me a lot of bucks as I was thinking of buying one.I am a sea angler who only uses lures and a 16lb+ pollack would do damage to this type of rod. I have taken 6-7lb on a fly rod but much bigger curve the rod out and snap the line so I think I will go back to my thoughts on a carp rod.
Many thanks //Willie..
ps any thoughts on other rods that might suit..

O

Ozz

Willie,
I sometimes lure fish around N Wales for the Bass, and I always use a 3lb TC for them. Never had a problem yet, and landed fish to 12lb

C

Carp Angler

there's a lot of very good lure rods out there that should suit your style of fishing.
Failing that, there is an absolute wealth of different style, action and prices of carp rods, pike rods and barbel rods that should fit the bill.

W

Willie McKinnon

Thanks for the help men. I use a shimano 3 section up to 30grm cast. I am looking at the maxximus 10' 2.5t/c any thoughts.
it is the travel rod and I am not to sure if five sections would retain suppleness I like in my rods.
Thanks for helping a dumb sea angler out but I prefere fresh water gear.

Tight lines //Willie.

O

Ozz

I think it's gonna be personal preference Willie, But I guess that a 5pc rod wouldn't really stand up to that much stick, I wouldn't go for less than 2pc but thats what I feel happy with.

W

Willie McKinnon

Thanks Ozz.
I see your point. I think I am looking for the total all rounder that dosen't exist but I am willing to compromise. I have returned to braid after 5 years and am looking for the rod to give when the pollack first hit. Fish from 3lb-18lb rod 10' max able to cast from 1/4 oz to 3oz at full on. I only use lures and talking to other sea fishermen gets me some queer looks. So Barble rod what kind of beastie is that. Thanks again for all the help maybe I should start fishing in the freshwater.
Best Regards.//Willie

W

William Spencer

willie.who says you are a dumb sea angler?
(sorry i didn't reply earlier).
hopefully you can help me as i spend a lot of weekends at skegness with my family.what sort of beachcaster set up would i be looking at?

W

Willie McKinnon

William I am not sure I can help much as I live on the west coast of scotland.From what I can see it looks like shallow shingle to sandy bottom. If I could get a loan of an uptider 2oz-8oz casting I would fish 4oz grip lead to 60lb shockleader to about 17lb line. with the option to up lead if tide was lifting me out. There are so many beach rods from telegraph poles to mushy the uptider gives you a wide scope to see what suits,Power or finess.So try to borrow gear rather than jump in.
may the fish be with you//Willie

O

Ozz

Willie,
I don't know what your price range is...but take a look at something like the ESP Tracers or The Diawa Powermesh to start with.

W

Willie McKinnon

Ozz, I have my doubts about Diawa P.M. and Am.W. If you get a scratch on these rods it can leed to big problems.Unless the weave has been changed the mesh is to easy to damage and being a sea angler it can be hard to avoid the odd knock and scrape.Thanks for your help I will check out the other rod esp and let you know.
Tight lines Ozz.