Banksticks

• Thread starter Sir Steven Blanksalot
  • Start date
S

Sir Steven Blanksalot

I am thinking of getting a set of banksticks to use instead of a pod and was wondering what size you would recommend!
Also what are the best makes to go for, not prepared to spend a fortune though!
Cheers chaps!

C

Carp Angler

Gardner do some cheapish alloy sticks, failing that, it's stainless all the way if you want quality and longevity, but it's too expensive for most people.

S

Sir Steven Blanksalot

It was actually the Gardner ones I was looking at, 20inch ones!

C

Carp Angler

depends on the ground at your venues, 20" is quite long.
I've mostly use 12's and 16's in stainless, but I've got some 20 and 24's as well, in case I have banks which slope away steeply and I need to get the front rests out there.

PTnymph

Reaction score
I would go for the Gardner Standard Extending Banksticks. I have mine for years now. I don't think you should waste your money on buy the stainless steel ones unless you want to show off. I would go for the 20" - 38" which is ample enough unless you are planning a trip aboard then it will be 30" - 58"

While you are at it might well get yourself a Gardner Hammer Head if you are fishing on very hard ground.

B

Budgie Burgess

Depends if you are going to use them individualy or with buzzer bars.

C

Carp Angler

"I don't think you should waste your money on buy the stainless steel ones unless you want to show off"

or unless you fish on gravel pits and have wasted enough money on Gardner ones that bend trying to get them in the ground.

F

Frothey

38"??? we back in the 70's?

i use the nashy aluminium auger point jobs - not bent one yet. i used to carry a selection of solar stainless. never bent one, but always had back ache!

B

Budgie Burgess

I have some cheap ones from LEEDA that Ive been using on gravel pits for 15 years no problems! Stainless is just to heavy for my liking to Dave!

My brother was refering to the size they come in.20" closed 38" extended is surely the most versatile size,remember we are talking sticks to put in the ground not in to a pod.

S

sash

Nash powerstick thingys with the screw (auger???) tip on them. Spot on, will drill into most banks (except concrete) and not bent one yet. If useing the bivvy type sticks will cope with buzzer bars due to the extra diameter.

F

Frothey

yes budgie, thy're too heavy for me too, thats why i changed them!

thats the kiddies sash...

D

Deecy

To repeat earlier reply Chris Brown banksticks best out there and no stainless involved.Good price too.

J

jason fisher

i've got to agree with both the nash powersticks they'll go into just about anything short of concerete and the gardner alloys are just right for softer banks.
why use stainless unless you enjoy body building and lugging about the extra weight.

J

jim turner

i have some spiral style banksticks and they are amazing for hard ground and are also good for frozen ground! also i have a clamp over support type thing quite old but does the job. but have to admit i prefer using my new x-pod 'plus' more stable on concrete pegs.

S

Sir Steven Blanksalot

Frothey - do the nash powersticks come supplied with the tommy bar, and what size would you recommend getting, the 16" or the 20".

F

Frothey

i cant remember - if they did i lost it - i use an old peg! ive got 3 of each (i dont use buzzer bars) so i can have them level, pointing up or pointing down by swapping them about.

F

Frothey

i think steve neville did some sticks made out of a big industrial drill bit - they'd screw into anything!

S

Sir Steven Blanksalot

cheers boys, i think i ma gonna get 3 of each size, so like Frothey I can chop and change if needs be!