Riddles !!

M

Mark Fry 2

How do you use a riddle to clean maggots? I know how to use one for removing the lumps from groundbait, but not sure how to use it for maggots...

W

William Spencer

okay then here we go.have a few spare bait tubs handy.tip the maggots into the riddle with one hand while the other holds the riddle.shake the riddle quickly to sieve off sawdust,maize or whatever medium your maggots come in.it's probably best to do small amounts at first and as you get better you can do a whole pint in seconds.you may have to do it once or twice,when i have got all of the maize off the maggots i tip them onto the riddle and leave them to crawl through into a bait box,this will help remove any dead ones and skins et al.best of luck mate.

p.s.
slice luncheon meat about 10mm thick and push this through the riddle,mix it with a little brown crumb.ideal loose feed if you're fishing with meat on the hook.

R

Rodney Wrestt

I use a pinkie riddle to get rid of the dross from the bait, as William says do it in a few goes, don't try to riddle too many at the one time, and a good tip is to chill them first so they aren't so lively. I also use a cat litter tray as it's easier to tip the riddle into when the maize meal has been removed.

W

William Spencer

good tip rodney.a la cat litter tray not thought of that one

Mark Fry

Reaction score
Thanks to all of you for answering that. Its a question that I have wanted to ask for some time and now I'll give it a go. The cat litter tray was handy as well, good idea.Thanks again.

A Wayne

Reaction score
What are the advantages of cleaning maggots? Afterall when you dip them in water doesn't the sawdust etc get washed off anyway?

W

William Spencer

right.you buy a pint of maggots?yeah?these come out of the fridge in the tackle shop.they are stored in the fridge in a plastic box with about twenty pints of maggots,they all pee-the amonia smell when you don't clean them.by riddling you remove any debris,dying maggots,etc.when you have riddled them clean you can either sprinkle some maize on them or tart them up a little with custard powder,strawberry nesquik,etc.the maize helps to keep the maggots clean by soaking up the amonia and also keeps their skin soft.
go buy a bag of grapes,you may find one which is going bad.leave it in the bag the rest will suffer,would you eat them in this state or nice and fresh and juicy.
it only takes a couple of minutes to clean your maggots,do it,your catch rate will improve with cleaner fresher maggots.

R

Rodney Wrestt

Cleaning them also de-greases them, this helps when river fishing as they sink through the water faster and don't get pushed as far down stream by the current.