On the telly

C

Carp Angler

Anybody see the dayticket series on Sky Discovery H&L ?
Here
They fished Bury Hill and the 'average angling duo' proceeded to skull drag a carp out of some lillies at close range.

Probably the most disgusting piece of televised angling I've seen.
Is this a fish at any cost just for the camera?

C

Cakey

I can not believe they are classed as average,round here they would be called noddys

F

Frothey

problem is that there are lots of "noddies" who dont know any better, see that kind of thing and think its ok.

didnt see it alan, but i guess it was an aggressive "hit and hold" (!)

C

Carp Angler

hit and drag Dave.
I have no problem with close range hit and hold, next to lillies and bushes etc, but to actively place the bait behind the lillies means that the fish would have to be dragged through them to be landed.
One parrot lipped carp and a destroyed set of pads.

C

Cakey

On one of their "strikes" they almost pulled a carp right out of the water and even worse thought it was funny.

Some nice stuff though for Frotheys teach-in on how not to do it!

S

Sir Steven Blanksalot

Thats right cakey, they had a bit of a chuckle when on that strike the carp nearly completely left the water!

Would I be wrong in calling these to lads "tossers"?

S

Sir Steven Blanksalot

Saying that I bet they are good at "baiting", they might even be "masters" at it!

Wonder if there is a term for that?

S

Stuart Bullard 3

Have you ever fished there Rik? I have, and nearly every carp was deformed, so its obviously not just them.

Who were they.

L

Les Clark

Bury Hill,Had a look around there once, was not impressed,pile them in,take the money!

M

michael rouse

John Wilson has dragged carp over lilipads.I saw it on a Centre pin special tonight.Didnt seem to affect the fish.

C

Carp Angler

so you think that would be alright then michael?

I just hope we don't ever fish the same venue....

M

michael rouse

I dont think its fair on the fish when they get dragged over lili pads but i just said that it didnt seem to affect the fish on Go Fishing.

C

Carp Angler

Stu

no, I've never fished there, I know people who have, and suffice to say that I wouldn't ever grace their banks.
Not that we could ever say too much for fear of getting sued.

M

michael rouse

Not alright,all i said was that it didnt affect the carp on Go Fishing.

C

Cakey

John Wilson never seems to use a unhooking mat ......dont make him right does it

G

Gary Knowles 2

Guys - You probably don't know but Michael's only 14 (from memory) and quite new to fishing.

Perhaps you should cut him some slack and explain, clearly, why it's not the right thing to do eh ?

BTW I did see the programme. I actually did a double take when the carps head and shoulders came out of the lily's and just hung there....you know the kind of thing, I thought "did I just actually see that or is the Jamesons kicking in!"

S

Stuart Bullard 3

Yuk - sounds like a program ill conceived or badly thought through.

Rik - its a glorified carp puddle. I went out there for a day float fishing from a boat with a mate, which in its own right was quite good fun. However, we found two fish tethered to rigs that had been cast into trees, lost count of how many other rigs in trees, plus at one point we saw two lads move into a swim and then proceed to cast their 3oz leads to within 10ft of our boat.....which was bloody dangerous.

Sorry - they can sue me, I thought the rules were fine, just not policed.

J

jason fisher

yep you're right gary michael is only 14 and doesn't have a family member who fishes to teach him.
so cut him some slack.