Is it broken or is it me?

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
A couple of hours ago I started a new thread (Internet and Print as an open discussion) yet it seems to be closed. Is it that contentious? If it is please communicate to me via message or did I break it?

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Your thread has caused much wailing and gnashing of teeth! :eek:

Its not the content, but the appearance. You've gone and broken the forum.

Does the post look normal to you? (seriously)

To the rest of us its very minimalistic, strangely void of the usual formatting and house style :confused:

Did you post it as normal?

Techies are looking into to it... all very weird.

---------- Post added at 21:22 ---------- Previous post was at 21:19 ----------

FishingMagic Forums (The FishingMagic Fishing Forum. Join FREE and meet 60,000+ fellow anglers.)
- General Fishing (General Fishing - FishingMagic Forums)
- - Internet vs. Print (http://www.fishingmagic.com/forums/general-fishing/94377-internet-vs-print.html)

Mark Wintle 04-05-2010 18:50 Internet vs. Print

Peter Crabtree said in another thread:

TBH Steve, I don't think there's room for another mag. There are so many established ones and the readership is fairly limited. With the internet becoming more and more accessible to everyone, even some of the most established publications may(will) eventually become internet based.

Even today, to find all the stories we are interested in we can log on to plenty of sites/fora and read what we want to read without pages of adverts and fishing that doesn't particularly interest us...............

Sites like this one have been around for over a decade. Not that many years ago it did seem like the Internet was taking over. Some of the big players were dipping their toes in the water, occasionally getting them burnt (mixing my metaphors!), but there seems to have been a consolidation/contraction of websites.

But in the fishing world the emphasis seems to be swinging the other way, or is it just me?

Some long standing angling writers did have a go at internet writing a few years ago but they seem to have stopped yet continue in the mags/papers. The quantity of new internet articles generally seems to be less than previously - I wonder why this is?

We've discussed this before but perhaps the recession has had an impact?

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 21:20.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2010, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2

This is what it looks like to the rest of us!!!

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
could it be the crabtree curse?
or Patsys premonitions?
Has Mark lost the plot?
Have I lost the plot?

Lets face it The Times ,Sun Mail etc will be history as paper media in a few years time.

Well, er, in the south maybe?

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Neil,

I must admit it took on a strange format when I look at it too, but I've only got the same thread starting tools as everyone else unless it was the ? mark annotation that wrecked it. This thread was started the same way but without the ? mark tagging and is obviously working just fine.

Obviously a mis-fired hybrid thread...

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
As an ex professional systems tester I seem to have broken it. Second attempt just as bad as the first!

904_cannon

Reaction score
Durham City, Co Durham ... STILL The Land of The P
It must come with age.

I spent almost 50 years in the TV/Electronics servicing industry, even down to changing surface mount microprocessors, minute chip type resistors/capacitors...and 'losing' a few in the process, but it took me almost three hours to remove and re mount a large AC motor in my sons WEM Copy Cat endless tape machine (Monk will know what I'm talking about)

I have noticed lately though that the text on a posting has to be re aligned.

904_cannon

Reaction score
Durham City, Co Durham ... STILL The Land of The P
Anyway, I would far rather read a paper magazine than some electronic version any-day, even if the e version was to be provided free

However both can get 'lost' as I recently discovered. I keep almost all my old magazines in a four drawer metal filing cabinet in the garage attached to the side of the house but discovered only this weekend that mice had taken up residence there. Just about every magazine had been chewed to some degree, many being almost totally destroyed with some going back to the early 70's.
Almost all of my treasured CSG 'Chevin' magazines have been lost (fortunately they are now available on CD) and an old Coarse Fisherman where a young John Bailey takes a very youthful looking Mr Marsden to task over using keepnets.

The only magazines to survive intact was the complete collection of CAT, I'm not sure what that says about Kev Clifford :confused:

Graham Marsden

Editor Emeritus
Reaction score
and an old Coarse Fisherman where a young John Bailey takes a very youthful looking Mr Marsden to task over using keepnets.

Do you still have the following issue that has my one word reply?

---------- Post added at 08:32 ---------- Previous post was at 08:29 ----------

Mark, are you typing the post directly or pasting it from Word or some other program?

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Graham,

I did paste the quote. In the 2nd attempt I pasted the entire thread. This thread was just typed which might be why it has worked. I haven't used Word at all with it.

I'll redo it but type it in. Got 15 minutes before I go fishing.

---------------------------------

Just retyped it all - only possible odd thing is italics cos it's still broke!

Last edited:

Bob Roberts

Reaction score
The only magazines to survive intact was the complete collection of CAT, I'm not sure what that says about Kev Clifford :confused:

Err, did you expect the mice to eat the CAT?

Surely not.

Definitely a better educated strain of rodent in Durham if they can read...

---------- Post added at 02:54 ---------- Previous post was at 02:31 ----------

And I must confess I did a double take on reading...

"We've discussed this before but perhaps the recession has had an impact as well as a maturation of the web based format?"

Took a while to register that you'd actually written maturation. Still not sure it wasn't a spelling mistake.

Perhaps discussing this topic on a web forum is a bit like asking a Labour Party meeting who they'd like to win the election.

If you posed the original question to regular magazine readers you'd probably get the opposite response.

Much depends on what attracts you to the media in the first place. On-screen digital images can no way compare with the same picture on glossy paper. Text is just text, but even so, when you're out (maybe carp) fishing on a bright sunny day a magazine or book is easier on the eye than a screen.

Screen images can be made to move and can also include video but for layout and impact I still think print has an edge.

For instant communication the web wins, but all too often it's dragged down to the level of the lowest common denominator and destructive influences, as we've seen all too often.

In my view there's room for both and will be for quite some time to come. However, it's not the Internet that will finish off the mags, it's town planners who for some reason want to keep cars as far away from shops as is humanly possible.

Yes, you can buy in supermarkets, but only mainstream/ flagship titles. Minority interests don't stand a chance which means the chances of new or innovative titles breaking into the market is almost impossible.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
The Server's breaking down?

Is it you that's breaking it Mr Winkle?

DO NOT COPY AND PASTE FROM ANY OTHER SOFTWARE - except perhaps Notepad.

I'm going to have to go around now sweeping all the wasted Bits off the floor. As Graham says, methinks you are copying in some HTML code that disagrees with our software....

As an ex professional systems tester I seem to have broken it.
Should remember then - GIGO!
:D :D :D

Last edited:

cb

Admin
Reaction score
Yep - copy and paste issue. Impressive one nonetheless!

Copied your original into notepad then copied and pasted from there. Some strange characters causing the issue which notepad gets rid of.

cb