Barbel Fishing Hotel

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
Hello all - this is my first post in this section, I have to confess that I've not really done any barbel fishing in the past, however this is something I'd like to change! So me and three mates are looking to stay somewhere overnight close to some good barbel fishing, the idea being that we travel up in the early evening, have a decent scoff and a few beers and then go fishing early doors the next day.

The ideal venue would be somewhere known for its consistency rather than record-breaking potential - i'd rather everyone caught a three pounder than one of us caught a double. (ha ha, yeah I know.... maybe that should read "i'd rather everyone had the chance of catching a three pounder rather than one of us had the very slim chance of a double")

Also, the ideal venue would be two hours or less from Oxford... I know about the Red Lion in Bredwardine, but I think that might just be a bit too far.

I guess the best options would be on the warks avon or severn - any suggestions would be most gratefully received.

One last point (I Know, I don't want much!) - Ideally the fishing in question would be day ticket on the bank, or at least day-ticket in advance via mail order... that way, we can get to the river in the early morning rather than waiting for a tackle shop to open.

cheers all
Jim

Dave Bassett ACA

Reaction score
They don't have permits anymore for that particular stretch.The controlling club stopped them, due to a few idiots spoiling it for everyone else !!

Dave Bassett ACA

Reaction score
Guest permits finished on the 14th March this year Johnny.
I believe Mainoaks have another stretch for guests, above Yat Rock on the opposite bank.
It's about a 10 min drive.

Reaction score
Jim,

I know a good venue on the Teme, lots of barbel about with outside of double.

Good hotel with its own stretch and day ticket downstream, pm if you want details

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
Thanks all.

****y, you have pm

Daniel, Manor Farm is definitely on the radar and is probably the closest option. However, a mate has fished there before and he felt that whilst the potential of the venue to turn up a decent fish was defintely there, we may be better looking at the severn to be prolific.

The problem then being that I reckon its at least three hours to get to Bewdley or above and that's maybe a bit too far!!

I have to be honest and say I love researching trips like this almost as much as going on them!!

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
Jim

Oxford to Bewdley....... 1.5 hours, Oxford to Tewksbury about an hour? Plenty of the Severn in between.

The Trent is fairly prolific, I'd of thought Newark from Oxford would only be a couple of hours?

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
Hi Mark

You're probably right about the time if it was just one person involved. However, I need to factor in the faff of getting three other excited anglers and their gear rounded up and mobile. God knows it shouldn't take long...

But it always does!!!

Thanks for all the suggestions chaps, please keep them coming.

cheers
Jim