I didn't go for that..

Shine

Reaction score
Apart from many plastic bags I've manage to hook. The best 2 that I've reeled/dragged is a plastic bin and more recently an umbrella.

What odd things have you hooked onto?

Last edited:

Steve King

Reaction score
I've had a spark plug - gave a good bite, but didn't fight much.

I also had the back of a folding chair - kited around quite nicely in the current!

Over the years I've had just about every make of high street plastic bag from Tesco's to Harrod's, but the Police evidence bag has to take pride of place!

Bluenose

Reaction score
I caught a plastic bag with an eel in it.

I also caught a magnet once!

Wobbly Face (As Per Ed)

Reaction score
Hooked and landed a bike frame with pedals and handlebars, no seat or wheels. Pike fishing at the time so using heavy gear.
Proverbial old boot.
Anchor when sea fishing, it was attatched to the boat I was on.
An old broken fibreglass rod.
The best was hooking a line complete with weights and hook with the fish still on.

Shine

Reaction score
Just reminded me of a time I caught a cod off the rocks when I was a kid and there was a spinner in it's mouth. Poor thing........... well it was after my mum made cod cakes out of it and I kept the spinner.

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Reaction score
Graham and I were pike fishing on the Newry Canal in Northern Ireland and we hooked a plastic bag full of drugs -- tranquilisers and amphetamines (prescription ones)
There must have been thousands of tablets --We rang the police and luckily I had waders with me and we managed to get them all out for the police who came and took them away.....They reckoned a pharmacy must have been broken into

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I caught a Moorhen once, fishing the LAA bank of the river Lea at fishers green.

I was floating crust under the Willow's, if I didn't get a take, i used to let the crust carry on to the bend. Just as the crust was going out of sight, I felt the line tighten and struck.

At first I thought, christ, this is a good fish, then my line started to rise up into the air, next thing the rod tip was bending upwards. The Moorhen then came towards me, only around head height.

I managed to land it and remove the hook ok, no harm to the Moorhen. Must say it was a hell of a scrap. Like so many I have also caught the Plastic bag's.

thagamest1

Reaction score
spanish pete

Fishing at Borrowash on the r.Derwent I hooked ( and landed ) a car hub cap. This put up an amazing fight, kiting and dipping all over the river but was landed by sheer skill ! Unfortunately I did not have a camera with me to record this but I reckon it was a British record. There don`t appear to be any of this species here in Spain.

Cakey

Reaction score
I had a aircraft carrier but they ask me to cut my line when the planes started sliding to the edge........................

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
motorbike and side car...............

You told me it was:

A motorPike and SideCarp.

I once hooked and landed a full rod, reel and deadbait set-up at Old Bury Hill Lake - yonks ago when it was just the one lake. It was handed in to the bailiff and about 2 weeks later I received a very nice thank you letter from the original owner; an apprentice fitter who said he'd tried everything to recover it and couldn't afford to replace it. So that was nice.

About the same time fishing in the Chichester canal I 'caught' and landed a Cutlass (the sword type, not the car) which I handed into the local police station on the way home. I never got a thank you letter form them though . . . . .

Keith M

Reaction score
My mate had a classic carp run but when he got the fish in it was a stone dead Carp which had obviously been dead for a while, it was hooked cleanly in the corner of its mouth; it was on a misty morning on an old estate lake in Hertfordshire.

I was fishing a floating crust at night and had a Carp run in the middle of the night but my line went upwards into the sky. I had hooked a duck which flew off with my hook in its beak.

When I was float fishing on the upper lea once at WGC I hooked what I thought was a nice fish but it turned out to be a large terrapin.

Last edited: