What's your favourite species?

R

Richard Huggett 1

What's your favourite species of freshwater fish...and why?

Monk...you can't say cod 'cos they go with a few chips either!!

R

Ron Troversial Clay

For me this is difficult to say. The usual cop out is "The fish I am fishing for at the moment"

I know I am quoting Walker again, but to isolate a favourite species means says to yourself: "If you were only allowed one species to fish for for the rest of your life, what would it be?"

Walker's favourite fish was the roach, closely followed by trout.

I think I would be the same, in that my two favourite methods of angling are float fishing and fly fishing. It's not just the species for me I guess, it is also the methods you can use to catch them.

B

Bristol Piker

I don't have a favourite species, I hate them all equally !! Seriously though, I would have to say that my favourite species has to be the one which helped introduce me to angling ( along with countless others I dare say ), none other than the perch.

Baz

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I spent a long time after roach from my local cut. Too long chaseing shaddows, I wanted a two pounder, but it had to be from the Bridgewater, I could have increased my chances by going to one of these stock ponds, but I don't want one that has been put there for me.

Nowadays it has to be chub,why? The chances are that it has bred and grown in the river all it's life. Which goes with the natural surroundings, depending on which river, it can be easy or hard but allways enjoyable. Also there are many ways of fishing for them,and somehow it feels closer to nature.
Being the two faced git that I am, when the river season closes, I will be targetting a still water with seven pounders in it.Size isn't that important to me but they are still a nice fish to catch.

F

Fred Bonney

Chub in Autumn/winter,Tench spring/summer,
both give me a great deal of pleasure in the hunt and the fight.

C

Coops

Can't pick just one. Crucians and Rudd because they are the best looking. Barbel just for the awesome, adrenalin rush of the bite, Tench for the experience of the early summer morning sessions float fishing by the lily pads. Chub because they don't sulk in winter.

J

jason fisher

I don't have a favorite because i've got special memories from most of them,
perch because it was my first fish and also because the big ones look so good when they show off and stick that fin up.
roach again because the real big ones are beautiful fish the same with barbel not that i've had a really big one but a big one for the river i fish.
tench for being there as the sun comes up on a summer morning sitting in paradise.
carp for the exhilarating scrap, pike for being so good to me and letting me catch the big uns and chub for driving me absolutely barmy trying to connect with a bite, and then there's bream my next big fish target.

Tim Ridge

Reaction score
I have a soft spot for the most challenging and in my opinion that simply has to be big chub..
I've watched them feed and I wonder how the hell we ever catch them

T

The Monk

The Ruffe Slapper for me, every time, thinks its the smell of cheap perfume

No seriously (I was being serious)

Carp, they used to be mystical and uncatchable

that was of course before they all had names, everybody caught them and we had no boilies, bolt rigs, hairs, superglue and velcro

bring back alasticum wire and buzzers that didnt buzz

next its perch (just love those stripes)

then Eels ( another mystical fish) thankfully not everybody fishes for them, (yet)

M

michael rouse

I love big,fat Winter Pike but crucians are my favourite.

T

The Monk

haha

I though you were going to say a Big fat........

something else then?

I really must stay in focus

S

simon hall

My Favourite species has to be the Wells catfish. Just for the sheer power and size. Most people think they are ugly and easy to catch but I assure you they are not. I've caught most types of freshwater fish and nothing else comes close.

For goog memories it has to be the sliver bream and roach as these were the fish I used to catch with my old man when he was passing on all his angling knowledge when I was a nipper.