No paste no nuffink,internet or press?

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Seeing as Mark and cb have failed to get this going. Gremlins or the aforesaid crabtree curse?
Reality.... Paper media in a few years time will disappear, and surely the internet will become the be all and end all of all major paper publications and we will be almost forced to get on line for everything we do.
I still buy the A.T. every Tuesday, and still prefer to sit and read a mag/paper but how long have we got?

Thanks to Mark for the lead.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I'll soon kibosh this one too. shift alt cntl back space delete - that's the one!

Five years ago I think those in the print media were very worried. Their circulation figures were suffering and websites were getting a proportion of the angling writers that previously wrote in the press. But I sense that some of those contributors have reverted to writing only for the press only.

Some things have changed. Letters pages are diminished, struggling or gone. But there is but a fraction of the news and opinions on the web compared to the press.

Forums have evolved too. There are still some good debates but plenty of banal chat. A good proportion of big names came on forum at one time, a few still do but many have backed away fed up with idiots. The help side of forums is still a big plus as it's an instant way to get advice even if you do have to figure who to trust.

Fingers crossed!

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
I think it will be like TV and cinema. The one was sure to out the other - but it didn't happen and I don't think it will happen with web/print. There's room for both - though perhaps less room for poor paper mags than for web ones - which after all don't have any paper nor distribution costs.

BarryC

Reaction score
Do'nt think I would ever get used to visiting the loo with my laptop under my arm.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Tongue firmly in cheek , keep them coming Harvey. Lets face it posting on here is a lot like fishing for bites innit....

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Sorry. I promise I won't ever post remarks like that again. I just couldn't resist it. I will work hard, and become a better man.
Go say twenty "Hail Walkers"

Now my old angling friend, a Mr FG, gave up writing for magazines years ago because he was sick of people writing into letters pages and challenging him with futile rubbish and trying to prove their points, much the same as happens on threads these days.

I just wish that the manufacturers and importers would take the internet a damned site more seriously. I even tell dealers to draw four squares and in each write - Shop sales, advert sales, website sales, and Ebay sales. Then to predict the percentage of sales made (nationally of course) by each, which must total 100%. Frightens them to think that 25% or less is made from shop sales!

All power to the interweb

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
I'd prefer some power to the interweb.
BarryC makes a good point lightly: There is something special about print-on-paper that the web can't touch. Several somethings:
Putdownability: the book or mag can be put down, in full sight yet out of the way; the PC continues to dominate the desk, forcing you to forget what you were reading and concentrate on the new thing. New thing sorted, it's probably time for a cuppa and a stretch, and you never do get back to the fascinating thing youwere reading...

Pickupability: the PC nails you unhealthily into one position; no matter how ergonomic your "workstation", you need to move from time to time. If only your bowels. the book/mag can be held at a wide variety of positions, even taken to the privy, or the garden seat out of wifi range.

Inherent Serendipity: though the web page be loaded to the gunwales with hyperlinks to fascinating digressions, divertimenti and discussions (see Caught by the River for an example of how good this can be), nothing catches the eye like the half-caught glimpse of something on the page that makes you re-focus to see what it was, and this is the route to all sorts of happy accidents. For the prepared mind, that is; the truly focussed researcher will be after one bit of information and only that; and it will matter nothing to them that they smel no roses along the way to it. But if you you are of the mind-set that can't pick up a dictionary without risking half a morning, it's gottabe books!

Storage-based Serendipity: digital data is stored in "black boxes", be they CDs DVDs, hard drives, usb sticks or whatever, and you tend to access the file you want quickly and efficiently, which is great for your boss, if you're at work.
Books and magazines are stored in libraries, in magazine racks, in charity shops and waiting rooms, pubs, cafes and barbers' shops, stored along with other books/mags/papers - all vying for attention and leading to -well, happy accidents, which are what serendipity is al about.
Would love to waffle more, but hit "post" instead of "save", and have to edit and go.

Last edited:

jcp01

Reaction score
Caught by the River is the examplar of a fishing blogazine gone wrong. Written up by Tristrams, a bunch of over-educated London aesthetes who really want to wax on (and wax off) about contemporary art and indie music, rarely step outside the smoke and when they do get caught by a river, tend to come home and write up some over romanticised *******s about nature and how lovely it is.

One day one of em will take a closer look at nature and see the truth of the matter!

I think it wanted once to be the Waterlog of the web, but got hijacked along the way by it's contributors who now use it as a convenient dumping ground for any nature related arty whimsy they care to scribble. Still, it does appeal to those who can't fish but like the idea of it, so I suppose it has worth if some of them try a bit harder and start angling proper!

There's very little fishin' in it. I cancelled my subscription a year ago.

Last edited:

the indifferent crucian

Reaction score
I'm with Rufus. CBTR? It's pants!

Horses for courses, naturally, but I no longer have it on my desktop, personally.

There is print and there is print. I think it would be very generous to compare a lot of the angling press to some of the older angling writers who could cast a spell with a pen.

As I have said before, the magazines and papers seem to be more interested in 'promoting' new tackle and selling advertising space.
In fact it's this constant nagging on about new tackle that is propably why I fish with an old cane rod half the time. It just makes me rebel. I may blank, but at least I wasn't persuaded to buy some new bit of essential super-tackle.

I think if the printed word does disappear, some of those holding pens today should take a long hard look in the proverbial mirror.

Bob Roberts

Reaction score
How come my considered reply to this multi-posted thread has vanished?

And how come, when I back-arrowed to page two it shut down Internet Explorer? Getting a bit edgy about visiting the site if there's something THAT wrong with it.

I've recently given much deep and thoughtful consideration to the nub of the net vs print conundrum and have reached a conclusion. In fact the answer was staring me in the face, so obvious, so perfectly simple, that I can't understand why no one else has recognised the abject failings of the internet.

The God of all angling, the man who's name may only be spoken in tones of hushed reverence, Richard Walker never posts on the Internet. Therefore, we must surely all recognise that it's a lightweight imposter and print rules.

The mods may as well shut this thread down now. It's over, move along folks, nothing to see here.

;-)

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Can't blame Greg for this one; it was me - three attempts to start the thread all broke and still unsure why yet had another one start OK.

**** Walker's spirit lives on through his prodigal son (aka Ron).

I suggest that part of the change in the printed word is through increased commercial pressures that mean that there is less room to manoeuvre than previously. To maintain sales and thereby advertising is a tough challenge. A Waterlog-esque version of IYCF might please many on here but it would fail its usual readers. Even Creel effectively bowed to commercial pressures, first after 18 months when the colour was dropped and Venables left, and then about three years later when it was absorbed into Angling which also absorbed Angler's World, and itself ultimately failed to compete with Coarse Fisherman.

Advertisers need to see good sales figures, preferably ABC audited, and favourable reviews/placement of their products.

Despite all this the press is surviving, even thriving, and the web sites will find that limited budgets only slice so many ways. Whether the day will come that websites start paying some contributors modest fees remains to be seen though I believe that some big US sites entice big names this way. Perhaps the larger audience and therefore advertiser reach justifies this.

Bob Roberts

Reaction score
Spot on Peter, as usual. That reply is in essence my (sensible) take on the net versus print debate.

Even though I actually made two posts and the gremlins decided to merge them on my behalf.

I certainly don't blame Greg for this but it has to be noted that Lembit Opek
has lost his seat in the election and will therefore disappear off into the sunset. If Greg also disappears it will confirm what I've suspected all along. Greg is Lembit in (a very poor) disguise!

I've also come to believe that Ron is not so much Walker's love child, rather he is actually Walker in disguise, who's simply been playing at being dead for tax purposes.

Walker was a master at inventing characters and writing under pseudonym's. It seems he invented the Clay character many years before he needed the alias and to save a lot of work simply told everyone he'd gone off to Australia which was the perfect cover for his alter ego and could be revived at any time simply by announcing, 'I'm back folks!'

The rest is history...

Now we have a new government(s) I'm expecting him to make a remarkable recovery and then offer to lead the Social-Lab-Commiecrats on a mandate that no-one actually voted for with a promise of free rod licenses for all, the freedom to shoot anything that flies, crawls or swims near water and that the site of his old fishing hut will be granted heritage status.

In order to keep its license fee the BBC will be forced to launch a new series which recreates an architectually identical hut on the very same site from which a new TV programme will be broadcast every week in prime time called 'All Our Yesterdays (The Good Old Days)'.

jcp01

Reaction score
With the exponential growth of the angling blog I think we do have a form that can lead us into the future, and though it is a form that is web based, still cross over to the mainstream print media.

My blog was started in 2008 and back then it was one of the very few angling blogs available, but now, two years on, there are so many new angling blogs that I cannot keep track of any but the most local and pertinent to my own angling endeavors.

I am becoming very selective about choosing what I have the time and inclination to read.

Others may soon wish that someone else would do the honours for them and become very selective about what they read on their behalf, if you know what I mean?