Digital Camera

jp

Reaction score
Spotted a little digital camera for a nice round ?100, that's enough for me take fishing.

Looked up the specs on the net, it's a Fuji 205S, and the blurb said

" please note that the Fuji 205s is only supplied with a 16mb X D picture card"

What does that mean in English?

S

Stuart Bullard 3

Frankly - I have had real problems with Fuji, two replaced in two years, and now this next one is buggered. I am fed up with them.

C

Carp Angler

had mine for, errr.... dunno. 4 years I suppose, cracking, never gone wrong, been in shit, dip and groundbait with it, pictures superb.

Tim Ridge

Reaction score
My fuji 210 had to be returned because it was not transmitting through the relevant port. I've had no problems with the replacement except...
Night time photo's..
There's no vision on the screen, it just stays blank. I have to carry a cycle lamp with me to give the camera something to focus on.
There's no allowance for a shutter release bulb or a remote. This means setting the self-timer which is a bit of a pain. I carry a zip up sack with pegging points to stop the fish from flapping around but I still feel uneasy because this means the fish is out of the water a lot longer than it would be with some sort of remote system.
I'd be interested if anyone knows of a Digital that does have the option of a remote system.

W

Wolfman Woody

John, I have a Fuji A303 and no problems after 15 months. I bought a 64 mb card which at 3megapixels stores 50 top quality photos.

I see the 205 is 2 megapixels which is okay so long as you frame the shots tight. With that you should get around 80 shots on the 64 mb card. Or 24 or so on the 16mb card.

Honest John, (sounds like a bookie, hahahah) I'd give it a try before buying any extra cards. I bought 2 64 mb cards and the 2nd just sits there as a back up. I suppose it will come in useful if I take it on a longish holiday, but I tend to take film cameras then anyway.

W

Wolfman Woody

Just had a look at the other specs - it looks bloody good value.

However - one word of warning - do you want to moutn it on a tripod directly or use a Gold Label bank stick adapter?

If so then ask what is "and cradle adapter, (for optional PictureCradle)" Maybe then it won't fit a standard tripod or the GL bank stick adapter. If you want this John check with the supplier.

Otherwise you can't grumble at ?99.

jp

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input,I sort of knew I'd need a bigger card but wasn't sure what the XD bit was,I have spotted one important flaw with the camera , it don't seem to have a self timer,I'll keep on looking.

I could buy a dearer one but I know I'll just bu##er it up in the mud and wet.

jp

Reaction score
Cakey's link has a much fuller spec. and it seems that it does have a self timer after all, thanks Cakey and everyone else again.

Still got to check out the mount Jeff.

T

The Monk

John, If its the Fuji Finepix range, they are now part of the Nikon group, although a poor relative, the Finepics range are one of the leaders in the cheaper end of the digital market, At ?100 though I`d be a little apprehensive, I`ve just paid that for my last flashcard? I`ve only just gone digital and the technology however is fantatic, so good luck

W

Wolfman Woody

Just looked at that A210 and it's 3.2 megapixels. Can't be bad with a self timer, but still doesn't mention a standard screw mount.

"leaders in the cheaper end of the digital market" - Monk. Isn't it nice to have money?

jp

Reaction score
Jeff I think (from what I read yesterday)that the cradle adaptor is for recharging the batteries and/or maybe connecting to your pc.

I did look at a 205S in Boots yesterday(?99) and it appeared to have a standard screw mount in the bottom.

R

Rodney Wrestt

Jay Dubya,
they both have a screw mount, the cradle adapter for optional the picture cradle is a desktop 'holster' you sit the camera into instead of having to plug in the usb cable when downloading your images onto the pc.

take a look here....

A205

A210

R

Rodney Wrestt

J.P.
I was getting the links for the above post and yours appeared when I posted mine, sorry.

F

Frothey

tim, go to a camera shop and ask for a bulb release adaptor for a canon eos. they didnt have a screw in shutter release either. its a bit "heath robinson" but i've never had a problem using it with my olympus

Tim Ridge

Reaction score
What do you mean by heath robinson Frothey?
The problem with the shutter on the 210 is that it's got a knob to one side, so suction type attachments don't usually fit.

JP: To be honest A mate of mine got a sony over the Net, for more or less the same price I paid for my Fuji. This is a far better fishing camera because it has a night vision feature. I often have to take several shots with mine in the darkness because you have to play guessing games with the framing.
The Sony isn't as simple to use, but it has more features, A better optical zoom and more pixels. I'm sorry but I can't remember the exact model but for ?200 it is a steal.