Help on Back Leads

Baz Green

Reaction score
I intend to fish a small Carp lake of about 2 acres which is weedy in places (the Carp certainly like to feed there and that is where I normally put my baits).

However there are obviously, due to the size of the lake a lot of lines going in and I have never seen anyone using back leads.

I am considering using them but am not sure of the best way to use them eg do i cast out then attach back lead and then wind in to tighten line (I know a stupid question but if I do use them I want to get it right).

Also should/can i use backleads for fising in the margins and further out due to the size of the lake and the presence of weed.

Any help would be most appreicated.

Thanks

Baz

F

Frothey

never use backleads in weed! just asking for trouble. the other thing is the line will only be on the bottom until the first bit of weed/bar, so wouldnt help near the end tackle (where it matters!)

C

Carp Angler

I would be fishing leadcore and totally slack lines, no indicator weight at all, with the indicator actualy resting on the deck.

Give it 10 minutes and your line would be sunk and/or invisible.

Baz Green

Reaction score
Thanks very much for your quick advise.

I will not be using them - leadcore a good idea but not allowed to use it!

many thanks

Baz

C

Carp Angler

Very heavy tubing then <wink> with putty rolled around it.
Most mono absorbs water and becomes heavy anyway, it will sink of it's own volition, just not as quick as with the aid of something like leadcore.