Fish Of A Lifetime!

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
What would be your fish of your life time?

Have you already had it? :cool:

Is time running out? :eek:

For me, it would have to be a 3lb river Roach. Chances? Vitually nil! :(

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
3!!! :eek:

Flippin eck Neil don't set your sights too low mate ;)

We all know what I want :wh

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Had a few "2's" when they were easy :cool: but not quite managed a "3". Although I have been present on four occasions when one has been netted!

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
Good question Neil........

I've given up trying to catch fish by design, I've had endless 9lbs Barbel and Bream with no doubles after long campaigns.
Yet at the same time with less common fish (to me) and taking it far less serious - I've never blanked when after Grayling or Catfish, (including some FM fish-ins) and managed recpectable sized fish on both counts (2.8lbs & 53lbs)

I'd like a big Eel this year......... So expect me to land a big Perch.....:rolleyes:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I think one has to put some perspective into this when thinking about your fish of a lifetime.

Criteria such as; available fishing time, amount of disposable income to spend on fishing and access to venues that actually hold your 'dream' fish.

So, with that in mind, my targets would be:

1) A 15lb Barbel - this is a species that I have not targeted for about 20 years so its on my list for the next couple of seasons.

2) A 35lb Carp, preferably a Common Carp from an English water - this is one of my maintargets for this coming season, but I'd settle for a Mirror.

3) A brace of 3lb river Roach, I came so damn close at the back end of last season . . . . .

4) A brace of 15lb Trout, Brown and Rainbow.

5) A 5lb Brown Trout from the river.

So, there you are, the problem is of course that once those 'lifetime' fish have been banked then you have to raise the bar and keep going - becuase we are anglers, right?

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
A 3lb Yorkshire grayling would do the job for me. I know I could travel to improve my chances of a 3 but catching one on my home rivers would really put the icing on the cake!

Cakey

Reaction score
every fish should be treated as a fish of a life time....................:wh

Gary Newman

Reaction score
For me would be a 100 lb mahseer, a big Goliath tiger fish from the Congo, an arapaima in the wild in South America or a big pariba catfish (off to Suriname trying to catch one later this year so might be able to tick this one off).

In the UK I've had a few PBs that I'll probably never get close to beating, but still always trying to up my other ones. A British record would always be nice though, just missed out on one 16 years ago.

Nathan

Reaction score
My list would include (in this order);

1) 3lb perch (realistic if you fish the right places)
2) New PB tench (current PB of 7lb 8oz - it was my first ever tench!!)
3) 30lb common carp (preferrably caught off the top or by stalking in the margins)

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Not always size that matters!!

Sometimes its not the size of fish but , the ones you remember most. 2 sea trout caught accidently on maggot several years ago come to mind. the fight I got was unbelievable and they only weighed about 3lb but, I never forget that day, I just couldnt understand what was on the end of the line. The time I caught 11 tench in a river that only produce an occasional tench. Some thing simalar when I caught 9 chub in one session on a bit of river where I only usualy caught one or two if I was lucky.

Keith M

Reaction score
Mine would be a catch of 2lb Roach like the one Bob James caught in the 'Passion for Angling' series. What a great catch that was.

I have had the very occassional 2lb Roach from the upper Lea together with a few between 1.25lb to 1.75lb but never had more than one 2lb'er at a time.

My other fish of a lifetime would be a 15lb Barbel from the upper Lea, they seem to be getting bigger each year but I haven't yet seen one larger than 10lb+ caught, although a prominent member recently saw two Barbel which he estimated at at least 11lb and 13lb while wading at recent work party, and the member is not known for exageration so there may be a chance in the near future.

Last edited:

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
A pound dace - a genuine one that is - fed up with seeing 10oz fish touted as 'pound' dace. Blew my best chance years ago in Ireland but that's another story.

A 7lb mullet - this year's catching the impossible for me.

Of those cited at least I can already claim the river 3lb roach and a catch to match Bob James' 10 '2's in a day. (not Hugh Miles!)

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
It's said Bob James didn't catch those 10 x 2lb Roach in the same day, over a couple of days, and kept in a keepnet over night.