help

chef

Reaction score
hi , this sounds like i'm a complete idiot whats the difference between a leader and a tippet

R

Ron Troversial Clay

If you consider a knotless tapered leader, it is the bit of mono on the end which can be as long as 2 feet. This is generally known as a tippet.

The idea of the tippet is maily confined to river fishing and it is an American term. The old British term, a cast, was the length of gut, latterly mono, fastened to the end of the fly line.

During the 60s, this term was changed to a leader. I do agree it's a bit confusing for a beginner.

I don't use knotless tapered leaders for still water fishing anymore. For river fishing I tend to use a tapered braided leader with a finer "tippet" tied on to the end, especially using dry flies.

Hope this helps.

chef

Reaction score
hi , Ron at the show i was at to-day the person serving me gave me the backing (braided nylon,the fly line (scientific anglers headstart) and 4 braided leader loops and frog hair tippet ,am I right in thinking it goes fly line ,loop, frog hair tippet material ,fly sorry for asking silly questions but i want to make sure before setting up

R

Ross Turner

So Chef was your wallet attracted to alot of shinny things at the NEC.Which company/companies did you deal with?

chef

Reaction score
yes , couple of book dealers, sharpes (new folding trout net)p.a.c stand took out membership some nice new flies from rutland fishing(+line etc)decided on a shakespeare TPD fly rod and a7/8wt crest reel also by them as they were the most helpfull and i liked the items

R

Ross Turner

Was Iain Barr very helpful,& i bet you save aload of dosh so you now have more to use to go fishing.

chef

Reaction score
i've worked it out now use frog hair in 3 decreaseing diameters or buy tapered leader think i 'll buy some

chef

Reaction score
Ross which stand was iain barr on as i spoke to so many people today

Chris Cook

FM Trade Member
Reaction score
Hi Chef,
I remember you telling me where you lived but no longer remember where it was.
If you want to hit a water some time give me a shout, you might be able to pick something up, I can certainly tell you where to put the fly line, leader and backing etc ;)
I'm a student still so weekends are better but as Ross will tell you I am very rarely busy during the weeks!
I'm in Leicestershire but don't mind a couple of hours drive to fish somewhere.
Give me an e-mail if interested - flyfishingguru@yahoo.com

Chris

chef

Reaction score
Ross if the rod is 1/2 as good as they were helpful i will be very pleased i am going to email Shakespeare and congratulate them on having such helpful staff and people there nothing was to much trouble even with my silly questions unlike like some stalls i could mention I was totally amazed at the skills on show with the fly casting demos unbelievable stuff

R

Ron Troversial Clay

It's good fun this fly fishing innit Chef?

By the way don't feel worried about what you might think are silly questions. We all had to start at some time and I think you will find that the majority of fly fishers are only too willing to help.

Many of your questions are often very valid make no mistake.

Don't ever be scared to ask them.