Differences between avon and feeder rods.

M

michael rouse

Is a feeder rod better than an avon rod for feeder fishing and ledgering?Im stuck between two rods at the moment,a Korum Feeder rod with a 1oz,1.5oz and a 2 oz tip and a fox avon quiver with a 1oz,1.5oz and a 2oz tip.Which one would be best for feeder fishing?I want a light weight rod because i enjoy the fight more so would an avon or a feeder rod be best?

R

Ron Troversial Clay

For myself I would always prefer an Avon style rod. A lot of "feeder" rods feel like pokers with no give in the middle sections.

Get a decent barbel plunging under you rod tip and you need something that will bend to a nice curve and keep the shocks off your hook length.

This is a personal opinion of course.

Not only that, in certain situations you can put a lot more pressure on a fish with an Avon rod whilst still maintaining a curve of resilience.

Those "Porky Pig" rods are quite frightful by the way.

J

jason fisher

the one thing is with those 2 rods michael, the korum rod is a feeder rod only, the fox rod has both avon top and quiver top, so i'd take the fox rod.
but if it was a choice between fox avon quiver and john wilson avon quiver then i'd take the wilson rod every time.

alan strickland

Reaction score
From what ive seen the feeder rods have a stiffer top/midsection so you can lob out the feeders,where as the avon type have a softer through action with a reserve of power in the butt section for ledger work.AS already suggested try and get a twin tip rod with a top section of each.

Tim Ridge

Reaction score
Feeder rods almost always have a tippier action than avon type quivertip rods. The benefits of both are many and varied.
For instance if a heavy wind is blowing a lot of avon/q-tip rods flap around uncontollably when positioned with the tip pointing upwards wheras a feeder rod being stiffer higher up is less inclined to do so. Avon rods are (for the most part) poorer at playing fish on tiny hooks and light hooklengths but (again for the most part) they are better for controlling hard fighting fish on strong tackle because they posess more power. This is contrary to what you feel when you hold the rod in your hand and it is to do with the short lever principle that has been discussed elsewhere.
There is a point of compromise with regard rod action.
The John wilson Avon system and the Drennan series seven feeder both have actions that would both protect light tackle and have a reasonable amount of power when it's required.

J

jason fisher

got to agree with tim there too i'd go for a drennan before fox too.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

My favourite big fish rod is a FM concept.

I've caught barbel to 8lbs and pike to 18 lbs on these rods.

They really perform.

M

michael rouse

How many tips does it have?Are they those huge white tips or the coloured quiver tips?

jp

Reaction score
Drennan rods may be expensive initially Michael but I have lost count of the number of times I have seen on this and many other forums,

" I've broken my (insert cheap make here) quivertip rod"

My Drennan IM8 Super Feeder is about 10 years old now and has landed barbel to over 12lb with no problems and I'm pretty rough with my tackle, rods are just banded together with a landing net, no rod bags or any other protection.

J

jason fisher

i've only broken wilson rods while standing on them, shutting them in the car door and sitting on them, never had one go while i've had a fish on.
and they're pretty cheep too.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Mick as everybody else as said go for the twin tip rod as this offers more versatility.

I see you already have Greys rods so you know they are of a high quality. I suggest you check out the Greys Prodigy Barbel rods. You can get them with a 1.5Ib or 1.75Ib Avon top and they both come with 2 and 3oz glass and a 4oz carbon quiver. If you prefer a 3 piece the 1.5 comes in 2 or 3 sections. They retail at ?99 and come with a lifetime warranty.

I have a pair of the 1.75Ib and have landed Barbel to 9.5Ib and Carp to 14.5Ib on them with no problems they have a nice soft action for cushioning those last minute runs.

Carters at Preston do free delivery on all Greys rods. Though because a live closer I picked mine up in person they reduced them by the cost of postage about ?7 a rod.

J

john conway

Michael, Listen to your uncle Ron, however, you didn?t say what species you are after? Generally speaking I?d always go for a through action rod if we are talking Barbel and Chub, like Ron says you need something to cushion those quick surges that a Barbel can make. As for down rating your gear to get a better fight out of your fish I wouldn?t go down that route, you want your fish on the bank with some fight left in it, muck quicker recovery rate.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Good point John.

NEVER NEVER NEVER downrate your tackle to get a "better fight out of a fish".

My simple philosophy in chosing tackle strength is quite simply that it must put the fish on the bank. Playing fish for long periods of time is not on.

We all of coarse hook big fish when fishing for smaller species such as roach, and from time to time we manage to land them. But to deliberately chose light tackle in order to get a "better fight" from a fish is not good angling sense.

A flexible Avon rod coupled with a suitable line strength will often give you an advantage when it comes to landing the fish quickly. Not only that, but you will get a better fight out of the fish with a flexible rod.

And a lot less chance of losing it.