Have you ever..

• Thread starter Richard Huggett 1
  • Start date
R

Richard Huggett 1

Just wondering if anyone has fished the River Amazon or any of it's tributaries for piranhas ?
It's something I want to do soon, be better than snatching pasties out of the local lake !!!

W

William Spencer

south america?apparently one has been landed (i kid you not)on a boat on the thames.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Piranhas are pussy cats mate.

Try Tigerfish. They grow a lot bigger and look a lot more impressive.

J

jason fisher

there's supposed to be a few in the lower thames.

R

Richard Huggett 1

Tigerfish....ugly bloody things, don't like 'em. Kept piranhas for donkeys years, beautiful looking fish when they get in the sunlight in my tank.

There's often reports of piranha turning up in our waters, probably been dumped by some idiot who found they were eating all his guppies.
They wouldn't last long in our waterways, even in summer...the reported one on the Thames recently was an ex-aquarium fish, dumped in the river and totally disorientated, got snatched by a seagull, only to be dropped in a hurry ! I guess the fish bit back as a reflex action...bet that made the seagull jump !!!

One turned up in Lake Windermere a few years ago in amongst big press activity, only to be identified as a pacu, a harmless relative of the piranha. These have the growth rates of a carp in ideal conditions, and being a bit tougher than piranha could survive for longer in our colder waters.

I fancy paddling up the Orinocho River in a dugout canoe, just flipping a small lure about and catching big black piranhas. They would be bad enough in a tiny boat...what the hell would you do with an angry tigerfish in a boat not that much bigger than the fish ???

Pass me my brown trousers.............

G

Gary Knowles 2

cubero snapper - now that is a predator.

It would eat a tigerfish for breakfast Ron !!!!

John Frankland

Reaction score
Hi Richard

I spent my honeymoon in Ecuador's Amazon region (River Napo) a couple of years ago. I had taken a rod & a bit of tackle with me to see what I could catch and was repeatedly bitten off using bits of pork for bait. I had no wire traces with me so I clipped the eye of a size 10 hook to a pair of snap link swivels joined in tandem. Despite its lack of subtlety this prevented bite offs and I proceeded to catch piranha upto 3 lbs. Great fun on light tackle but tricky to unhook without forceps.

R

Richard Huggett 1

Brilliant John..{bit worried about you going prepared for fishing whilst on honeymoon though. See me in my office later....}

Did you go with a holiday tour company..if so, which one ?

It's something I've wanted to do for years, ever since I started keeping piranhas, and nowadays even Equador can be reached easier and quicker than driving to Scotland. And probably cheaper too.

Well done mate..I'm envious.

Rich

W

William Spencer

surely the ultimate and most fascinating predator would be a great white shark?
farewell to the do with my old spanish lady

W

William Spencer

hey ron,ever read twelve days of terror?the real life events that inspired jaws?cracking read.

R

Richard Huggett 1

I have the feeling here William, that the wife may have something to say if I started construction of a tank big enough to keep a great white in !!!

Rich

J

jason fisher

you could have a go richard you might get away with it, she might not notice till it was too late to go back on.

R

Richard Huggett 1

Tried that...flooded the kitchen, but she refused to cook whilst wearing a divers suit !

I'll get me coat..........

R

Ron Troversial Clay

The biggest fish I ever hooked in my life was a Great White at Mshlanga Rocks many years ago. After playing the thing for over an hour I managed to beach it.

I'll never forget those triangular teeth.

I certainly wasn't going to tangle with that thing, so I cut the trace and the next breaker took it back out to sea.

It was a baby: 400 lbs I would guess.

M

michael rouse

I havnt fished for them(yet) but 100lb tarpon on flytackle must be hard going.

John Frankland

Reaction score
Rich. The Amazonian jungle trip was organised by a tour operator called Scuba Safaris (as we had spent the previous week diving in the Galapagos Islands). The place we stayed in can be booked independently. See the following URL. http://www.laselvajunglelodge.com/

R

Richard Huggett 1

Thanks John for that. It's one of those things I've wanted to do for years, not for the fighting power of the fish, nor for the size of them, I just fancy the idea of actually being there and seeing piranhas in the wild...I don't really fancy smuggling a big black piranha home in me undies though !!

Cheers John,

Rich