help with feeder fishing

gully44

Reaction score
i am going fishing at the weekend with a new feeder rod which is map carptek feeder rod and a map carptek match/feeder reel . i used the reel the other day when i was float fishihng with 4lb line had a good 3hours with about 5lb of skimmers and baby fish. the help i need is which is the breaking strain of line to use for feeder work with the road , i have 7lb and 10lb for the spare spools and what hook links . ithink there is bream and carp between 3lb to about 10 all advice would be welcome

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
It should be written on your rod which recommended lines and hooklinks are suitable. usually under the rod by the reel seat. Personally I would stick with 4lb main line and 3 or 4lb hooklink......

Last edited:
A

alan whittington

I would agree with Peter,between 4-6lb reel line,3-4lb hooklink(i take it thats what you meant Peter,not three quarter pound;)).

gully44

Reaction score
thanks for that checked the rod and it says that its rated 3 to 8lb line

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
As you are new to fishing I think using a slightly heavier line than used for your float fishing is advisable, if you already have 7lb line loaded on another spool I would use that for now until you are a little more experienced, team it with a four or five pound hooklength.

Most importantly you will be catching bigger fish and there is an art to playing and landing these larger fish but the same principle applies to small fish as well. You never ever try to wind the fish in using the reel, keep you rod tip low and parallel to the water and use the rod to coax/pull the fish nearer then winding down until you can repeat the 'pumping' process. You should never have your rod overhead except when the fish is beaten and ready for netting.

Beaker

Reaction score
I totally agree withwhat Graham says.

The trick is to to cast to the same spot when feeder fishing so get a spot you can feel comfort able and then clip up using the clip on your eel spool,and you will soon build up a bed of bait that the fish will home in on.