Rain or Shine

M

michael rouse

When i think about it,i realise that i'v never caught decent fish while rain is present.Is there a certain species that feeds prolifically during the rain?I just want to know if im wasting my time fishing in the rain?

J

jason fisher

my thoughts on rain,

in winter a bit of warm rain or a drizzly day can be just what's needed to get the fish feeding, after a cold spell but usually they feed just as it's stopped.

pretty much the same in autumn and spring too, but in summer the only time rain really helps matters is when it's been really hot for a long time, then most species will swithch on quite quickly after even a light shower, some times they will even feed while it rains in these conditions.

T

Twainy

I can only ever remember catching crucians on a regular basis and that was a long time ago.

F

Frothey

varies from water to water....gales and a load of rain seems to ring the feeding gong down here (sw). on linear manor also, but seemingly not st johns next door?
maybe the air pressure is more of a factor?

jp

Reaction score
Barbel; gales & downpours, get out there.I've lost count of the barbel I've caught in absolutely atrocious conditions.

Thunderstorms are good for catching tench, but use a glass rod not a carbon one.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Michael
In the rain the best place to fish is usually under bridges --The fish are usually sheltering under there so they dont get wet .......

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Ditto Budgie on that. Normally always good though just after a good down pour. Oxygen anyone?

J

jason fisher

exactly wol.
plus does rain give fish a headache their lateral line must be registering the rain hitting the surface of the water.
maybe they just sit out all the noise.

Serge Moshyk

Reaction score
I think that roach fish better when it raining. Usually spring. But not when it rains cats and dogs. The best raining weather is a little rain over whole day.

I've noticed this some years ago.

A

Andy "the Dog" Nellist

I've caught plenty of decent fish in rain. I reakon the real reason that most people catch less when its raining is that thay don't fish as hard and judging by numbers on the bank when its raining many don't bother going at all. Get youself a decent suit and fish hard even when it rains and you'll catch plenty of fish.

jp

Reaction score
Exactly Andy.

Had a 5.3 chub this afternoon in the middle of a fairly violent hailstorm, but the sun was shining as well, so maybe the chub was a bit confused.(had a 5.5 a bit later as well)

J

jason fisher

that's just knackered my excuse why me an jeff only managed one bleak between the 2 of us then, i was going to blame it on the heavy hailstorm we'd had at the start of the session rather than the fact we were in the wrong place.

B

Bill Cox

I,ve had a lot of good sessions on a water in cornwall i used to fish where a south westerly gale and torrential rain almost garunteed a bag up.However the places i fish these days are completely different so maybe its courses for horses as opposed to horses for courses.