Halibut Dopple-Ganger

• Thread starter Sir Steven Blanksalot
  • Start date
S

Sir Steven Blanksalot

I use halibut pellets for the majority of my fishing and was thinkng about trying Halibut Dopple-Ganger critically balanced has hookbaits

Can anyone give me advice on how to use it, hook patterns to use and hooklink material to use? I usually use Mantis to a Fox Size 6 series 3 hook!
Also can it be put into PVA bags without smaller pellets sticking to it?

C

Carp Angler

smaller pellets sticking to a bigger one....
.............mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....

now there is an idea............

S

Sir Steven Blanksalot

Not if you are after a critcally balanced bait, surely they will make it heavier therefore making it no longer critical!

T

Tim Richardson 2

This stuff isnt very sticky therefore I dont think smaller pellets sticking to it will be a problem. However, on the other hand if small pellets stuck together is what you want, why not try Kryston Bogie.

B

Bristol Piker

Must say I can't think why anyone would want to introduce samples of doppelganger via pva for any reason,after all it's designed as an artificial HOOK bait so stick to real pellets as freebies. As for smaller pellets stuck to a bigger one I find superglue works wonders in this respect and the addition of a couple of pellet sized pieces of cork restores the critical balance effect quite satisfactorily.

S

Sir Steven Blanksalot

The reason I want to present it in PVA bags is because a lot of my fishing done last year was halibut pellets in PVA bags with a 14mm pellet on the hair. I would like to continue that but using Dopple-Ganger in the hair to give a far better presentation, and we all know how good critical balanced baits can be.
I didnt realise it was compicated Bristol Pikey, whoops sorry, Piker!

B

Bristol Piker

Carry on using the halibut pellets in the pva bags but stick to using the artificial doppelganger on the hook seems the most obvious way.

S

Sir Steven Blanksalot

Yeah thats what I thought.
The original question was asking if anyone else uses it and what hook/link it is best to use it with!

B

Bristol Piker

I would think the end-rig you're currently using would be fine. Can't see any problems with it so if it's working with your normal method then don't try fixing what aint bust.

S

Sir Steven Blanksalot

Yeah but my normal method doesnt use a critical balanced bait!!

B

Bristol Piker

If the rig works fine with an ordinary bait then it should work just as well with a critically balanced one.

F

Frothey

not if your using a 2" bristle rig....not a lot of point critically balancing one of them!

what are you trying to achieve by critically balancing? critically balanced bottom bait or critically balanced pop-up? if its to make the hookbait act the same as the freebies, then you just need to counteract the weight of the hook/hooklength, but then again after an hour or so the freebies have turned to mush, or soaked up a lot of water, so they are going to be totally different to the hookbait anyway.

the fish i've seen in the margins feeding on bags just wallop the lot back anyway, short hooklinks and sharp hooks seem to be more important

C

Carp Angler

and you can't make the hookbait the same as the freebies if the freebies are small pellets and the hooker is a 14mm.

Sounds as if you're creating a problem that isn't there Steven.

As the others have said above, if it aint bust, don't try and fix it.

S

Sir Steven Blanksalot

But isnt any critical balanced bait far more effective than a standard bottom bait wether or not it is fished with freebies? Especially fished with a braided hooklink!

F

Frothey

fish wafting their fins around over the bait, bait flies off the bottom and bobs around, frrebies stay on the bottom.....not necessarily...

S

Sir Steven Blanksalot

Frank Warwick seems to think its a good idea as hes releasing a bait called "Wafters", where the idea is that the bait sinks just under the weight of the hook therefore making it waft or bob around!

L

Les Clark

Frank Warwick is makeing lot`s of money every time he make`s a product,dosn`t mean he`s right,i.e look at Dave`s posting above your`s.

C

Carp Angler

I think Steven that it's certain baits for specific situations.

If you can see that the fish are hoovering up the freebies and leaving your hookbait, then you'll need to look at changing it.
If you find fish spooking off of your pop-up or balanced bait, then you need to change it.

Look to see if you have a problem and look for a resolution.
If you don't really have a problem, then don't change just because you think you should, or because of an article or because somebody you've never met brings out some new bit of kit, which works for him, in a certain and given situation.

F

Frothey

frank also advocates using black/dark green baits to blend into the bottom....hasn't released those....wont catch the angler!