Groats

S

Stuart Harvey

Some say you need to boil it like you do hemp. Some say its best to leave in water to soak and ferment. Some use dry.

So whats the proper way?

Oscar The Grouch

Reaction score
I've found the more you boil it, the more of a mush it makes. Depends how you want to present it I suppose. The mush does make a great binding agent for groundbaits, method etc.

I've found putting a kettle full of boiled water onto the groats and leaving overnight adequate.

M

Mick Andrews

I would never boil groats they end up as a porridge like mush. I either soak overnight, or if I need them quickly I pour boiling water over them in a bucket and stick the lid on, same as Oscar. Probably one of my all time favourite particles for carp, especially in clear weedy water where the visibilty can really draw the fish in. I have stalked plenty of carp on them by carefully hooking five or six groats on a fine hook and float fishing in the margins.

I know what you are saying about fishing them dry Frothey, but they are deadly if fished in small quantities, dry in a pva bag.

F

Frothey

compare the size of a carps stomach to a full pva bag.....
groats swell fairly quickly, but is it worth the risk? if you want to use them soaked in pva, just quickly cover them in hemp/salmon oil/liquid liver first..

M

Mick Andrews

I hear what you are saying Frothey. I haven't fished them in that way for about 5 years now. But as I said they were deadly and lots of people cottoned onto the method with no ill effect to the fish. In fact it was the killer method on that water for a year or two. I do agree that if in any doubt we should err on the side of safety though.

I have always wondered about this seeds swelling up thing. Does anyone have any evidence that it actually happens and is harmfull to fish. They can only swell up if there is sufficient water. I don't see birds coming to nay harm after eating lots of dry seeds. Not trying to cause an argument, just wondering if this was real or perhaps an unexploded myth.

F

Frothey

its a bit like tigernuts mick, one or two start using small bags of them with no freebies and do well. others start using them and catch a few. someone then puts in 5kg, and has a result - therefore 10kg will be better! before you know it, everyones spodding sacks of the stuff in and the fish suffer.

to be honest, i dont think the selling thing will be as much of a problem with groats, as they are small to begin with, the carp shouldnt have too much trouble passing them...but why risk it? and surely they are more attractive with the oils etc coming out? if you fished them dry just to get them in a bag, like i've said imho there's better ways of doing it.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

I've really learned something. I thought that a groat was four pennies.

A

andrew jackson

I love groats they are a superb particle and have the added bonus of being very easy to prepare. I use the boiling kettle bucket method as highlighted above. I dont know if this makes the slightest difference to their effectivness as I have had great success with them as they come but. I pour a nice dollop of golden syrup and about 5ml of toffee flavour into the bucket after adding the water. They smell superb if prepared this way, the syrup and toffee flavour just appear to compliment them perfectly. It could just be a confidence thing, but give it a try and get a load of the smell that comes out of the bucket when you open it. It is just one of those smells that has success writtten all over it.

W

Wolfman Woody

Is there no black country anglers on this site? They'd know about Groaty **** or Groaty Pudding. For that you have to pre-soak the groats for 6-12 hours and then casserole them for 11-14 hours.

It just shows how hard they are, but I would certainly boil them for about an hour or more after pre-soaking them overnight, almost just like hemp (30 mins boil). They come out in a gloopy soup, but it's years since I used them.