Boilie Dips

dtry

Reaction score
I have seen in some mags where they suggest to soak some boilies in dips for over a week to allow them to soak in all the flavor. Surley it would take only a few hours for a boilie to be full of dip. Is there any real need to leave them in the dip any longer, as there is only so much a boilie can take on?

Dave

F

Frothey

you'd be suprised, split one open after a couple of hours and see how far the dip has penetrated.....then try it after a week, a month, a year....

dtry

Reaction score
If it takes this long to get into the boilie, wont it take just as long to get out when being used.

F

Frothey

when you reel in in the morning/after a few hours normal baits are washed out....

"wont it take just as long to get out" - isnt that kind of the point? the stuff on the surface comes off straight away giving instant attraction, everything else slowly leaks outgiving a constant level. but then hi attract baits are a bit overrated anyway arent they? ;)

N

Nick Austin 2

After taking advice from FROTHEY,RIK and boys in the past, ive experimented a bit with air drying / rehydrating baits.

Dave will correct me if i'm wrong, but with an air dried bait, which is rock hard, the boilie will nearly rehydrate itself with a dip or soak given enough time, but you'd be suprised!.. my home made, then air dried boilies have been in a source dip/additive for about 3months and they havn't fallen apart, just gone back to being the same consistency as a freezer bait, but full of flavour....

Putting these baits in cold water shows that the flavour will leek off VERY slowly, for, so far, about 4 days....

REMINDER... a strong bait is not good for every fishing situation!.

N

Nick Austin 2

cakey, this may sound like i'm being an idiot... can i freeze my "super glugged" baits, that have been airdried/re-hydrated?

And when you say "thaw and glug".. do you thaw them IN the glug, or dosn't it matter?

C

Cakey

I dont know all your times so Im not sure.
My bait arrived a couple of days for my trip to France and I air dried them for 12hrs then I glugged them with just enough glug to wet all the boilies.
then I froze them (they came fresh from the rolling table)
I will then take them to France next week letting them thaw out as we go.
When I get there half go back in the freezer and the other half get glugged again with a very small amount of glug.
This has always worked for me.
the 12hrs drying time hardens them enough to piss of the crayfish etc

R

roto fryer 1

12 hours air drying is probably not enough. cakehole have you considered that your glugged baits send out danger signals to the carp because they are different to the rest of the bait out there?
washed out baits are the way to go

C

Cakey

I know what your saying Roto
but why fix something that aint broke ?

Tell us how you would prepare your boilies then please.....