Weighmaster MK2

B

Bill Eborn

There was a thread on FM a couple of months back on scales and a number of peole recommended Weighmasters. I was a bit sceptical at the time as I had just thrown my old set away as they had broken after about a season and a half. My tackle dealer has told me he refuses to stock them as when he took over his shop he had so many anglers bring back scales that they bought from the old owner. The problem that the inner workings are a bit too fragile for serious use.

I have just noticed an advert for what are described as a new model of MK2 weighmaster flyweight scales. Apparently they have an 'upgraded interior with new rack and pinion assembly'. Does anybody know what is different about them and are they likely to be a bit more durable?

Trevor Sawyer

Reaction score
I've always stuck with "Avons" (regularly checked and Ok after extended use). Not keen on others and especially digital models. Call me traditional, but you can't beat the old "spinning dial". Pity they don't make a version which is designed for smaller fish (ie dace), where parts of ounces could be obtained.
Trev

J

john conway

What do you not like about digitals Trevor?
Bill, Weighmasters, are a bit on the delicate side, if you use them for checking the BS of line, the rebound at the break can make the little plastic rack inside jump the pinion.

Trevor Sawyer

Reaction score
John,
I suppose I'm just a traditionalist and even on Hi-fi units, prefer twiddly knobs to flashing lights. I work in science and again still prefer some of the older machines which seem to last longer than the new digital "state of the art" stuff. Springs and dials can probably stand up to a bit more misuse (wear and tear) than a digital set-up. As I say, maybe it's just me, but I will stick to my (regularly checked) "old-type" Avons.
Trev

B

Bill Eborn

John and Trevor

Thanks

I'm wondering if they might be a bit too delicate for my way of fishing. I am with you on the Summer chub fishing Trevor and I like to carry everything (which is actually hardly anything) in my waistcoat and I do crawl around on my belly and slide down banks and so on which does tend to take its toll on your gear. So perhaps I should invest in some Avons if they are a bit tougher. I think fishrite do an Avon scales sized case which might be a useful buy as well I guess.

J

John Hepworth

Bill,
I had the same problem with the Weighmaster scales, as has been said previously, they use plastic/nylon parts. They are probably OK for weighing small catches i.e. in ounces and low lbs, but they dont stand up to heavy use. As`for checking line BS, even Avons don't stand up to that, the pointer needle taking a hell of a bashing if the line breaks.

For the short period of time I did use the Weighmasters they very often would read up to + or - 1.5 lbs out, that was checked against weights used for calibtrating postal scales.

The only reason I bought them was for the same reason as Bill, to cut down on the weight.
Although I have no exprience of the digital scales used for angling, when I was working and servicing postal digital scales(which HAVE to be accurate) they very often would go out of calibration, usually just by people in an office leaving things on the tray, and they cost a hell of a lot more than the scales sold to anglers.

As for HiFi Trevor, I still use my old Quad, with its glowing valves. Beets the pants off the flashing all singing dancing jap stuff. Ask any rock guitarist, most still use Marshall valve amps, they can drive them into distortion 'till the valves glow white.(or for the Yanks, tubes)

J

jason fisher

can you get replacement lenses for avons i've cracked mine.

Trevor Sawyer

Reaction score
On a similar subject, I believe there is a definite hole in the market for a set of "competitively-priced" scales for weighing the smaller species of fish such as dace, grayling and roach. Something which goes up to say 7lb or so with 1/4oz divisions would be good and I think there once was a set like this made by Avon (now discontinued). The only good ones I've seen lately are made by Reuben Heatons, but they are round, a bit bulky and hideously expensive. Come on you manufacturers... they can't be that hard to produce for a similar price to the 30/40lb jobbies... I'll even promise to write a positive review if anyone wants to send me a set to test which is accurate.
Trev.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

I agree Trevor - a definate gap in the market. You could always do what Andy Little does & take a set of kitchen digitals!

J

john conway

You don?t use the weigh sling, you fillet your fish and weigh the bits<g>