Weather,what's going on

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Over the last couple of weeks the weather has been mild, and some good sunny days in between.

One of the local lakes that I will be fishing again this year has a close season. So I have been walking round a couple of times a week spotting fish, Tench being the target.

During the warm period Tench were moving around, and I saw a few lumps in the margins. Now the cold has moved back in, there hasn't been a sign of any tench at all, yet the Carp are still showing. I have seen the Tench spawning on this lake a few times over the years, and it looked as if they were getting ready to start spawning in the coming weeks.

The change in weather will slow down the spawning I am sure.

Have you had the same happen on any of the waters around your way, the fishing on other waters round here is slow now, but was good during the warm period. I see the average Temperature is down for this time of year. who said there is global warming.

the indifferent crucian

Reaction score
Yes, exactly the same experience as you Ray. I have never known so much North wind in one year ....and it's only May.

So much so that I have cancelled going to fish into the dusk tonight on a lake that has just re-opened...though that is partly my dislike of rain, as well as the knowledge that it just isn't fishing at this time.

It's pizza and beer instead for me tonight...life's hard!

nicky

Reaction score
8 degrees here in windy wales fishing was very slow today after a month of good fishing, bloody north wind blew my rod bag in the lake containing my avon rod, shimano reel and all my rod rests aaaaagh

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Went today for 8 hours-one sad looking carp around 6lb...not another touch!

Very cold,wet and the water looked more like mid January than early May....not a single rise or fish movement in the margins...never known it before..

the forecast doesn't look any better either............!!

trouble is,what bait to use to try and get them to feed-tried everything......

ps-Ray,if you read thisI've tried to contact you via a PM

Last edited:

jcp01

Reaction score
On the local cut some of the bream started early, induced into making an advantage over the more conservative of the brood stock by taking advantage of an early warm spell and consequent relatively high water temperatures - nearing 14 degrees celcius is what bream require to trigger the spawning response...

I don't think it quite got to that level and the 'early adopters' were caught out on this occasion with all of their offspring probably now dead in the water due to a precipitous crash in temperatures since...

Last edited:

richiekelly

Reaction score
6.5 degrees round this end today,i have been looking forward to some float fishing on a local water that has just reopened having had to admit defeat to age and arthritus and not carp fish overnight anymore,needless to say i havent been yet just to cold, global warming? not round here

slime monster

Reaction score
I went Tenching on friday and the wind had swung to easterly ,I managed one good fish from a spot I know well and it would not be unusual to catch up to six from there at this time of year, I had two coats on and still felt chilly.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I was on a club lake near Slough today, luckily the wind was coming from behind. I had to go back to the car and put my bib and brace on , it was blimmin freezing. I also blanked , spent some time watching the lapwings peeewitting and diving over the adjoining pick your own .
Tomorrow should be better according to the forecast, hope to bag up on a club match on the GU canal ............

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
I've just put the heating on!

It's chuffin freezing!!!

I wonder if all the species will have done what they're supposed to do by June 16th?

Deanos

Reaction score
I was sat in my winter gear yesterday, blooming freezing, nowt new there in Yorkshire then! :). The fish were moving, two carp and two tench from the margins, so a happy fella.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I think every
thing in nature is about a month behind . But is it because the last few years we have had warmer winters.2006/7 especially? Daffs and blossom out in late Jan-feb then this year mar -apr. Hardly surprising with the severe weather during the darker months. My local rivers look sock on as usual in the close, lets hope we don't get the carp conditions like last year again.
I am quietly confident that once the 16th june comes around we could have a bonanza......

A

alan whittington

Went today,top temp 8 degrees,but for most of the day around 6,i left my bib and brace at home and no hot drink,what a pillock,im just getting warm now some four hours after packing,global warming my botty.:rolleyes:

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
This could be global warming, who knows for sure? Has the gulf stream changed temperature and direction or is it just a natural weather cycle? I can remember snow in May a few years ago, nobody blamed it on global warming back then.....

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Nothing to do with global warming just a normal spring variation where the jetstream isn't especially strong and a blocking high pressure is allowing north easterly winds to dominate. It looks like cool weather for the foreseeable future, too.

One observation of one of the weather pundits is that dry Aprils are usually followed by wet summers!

the indifferent crucian

Reaction score
Oh great Mark!

I thought that perhaps it was just the hills around where I live that had created the predominance for Northerlies....but if Rufus feels the same up in Coventry perhaps it is more general than I thought.

From habit, so many of my prefered spots are facing South West and they just don't fish as well in a North Wind. I still struggle to see what a difference it makes to the fish, but clearly it does. The water is no colder than two months ago, but the fish are not hungry.

Perhaps two months ago they were hungry after Winter's slim pickings and now their minds are elsewhere?

Perveresly, my club netted it's training pond the other day and we all assumed it woudn't fish after that.

Not a bit of it! Crucians rising to emergers all over the shop. All the anglers on the other ponds moved over to try for them, having blanked.

I fear they will have done poorly. When these wily Crucians are feeding on emergers that's all they take....I've often wondered about a fly rod and buzzers and emerger lures, but they take them not in the surface film like a trout, but actually an inch or so above the water!

I'd be impressed beyond measure to see anyone hook one.

dezza

Reaction score
We seem to be a month behind in terms of water born insects. Normally at this time of the year I expect hawthorn flies and some mayflies to start moving. But not even midges are doing much.

And make no mistake Crucian, most midge pupa (I hate the term: "buzzers") are taken by trout, just below the surface of the water too. This is what causes the classic "head and tail" rise from trout. It's not the head of the trout you see, more the dorsal followed by the top lobe of the tail fin.