Smart Cast

Jonathan Williams

Reaction score
I recently got one of these and was looking forward to trying it, but when i did i couldnt get the damm thing to work. It powers up ok and i can change the setings and use the demo function, but i cant get a signal. It just says "Smart Cast" on the display and thats it. Any ideas, i was thinking that it might be a duff float?

Cheers

Jon

C

Cakey

I have played around with 10 units now and no problems so I think you have a faulty unit.
the only thing I can think of is the two contacts on the bottom of the RF40 could be dirty and therefore not turning it on.

C

Cakey

They are silver contacts so clean them with Brasso or Duraglit

P

Pete Denness 2

This is exactly the problem I had with mine, turns out it was a leaking RSS unit (it leaks through one of the wet switches).

Still waiting for the return email from Hummingbird Warranty though.

Jonathan Williams

Reaction score
Cheers mate, i am hoping that its the float, I have a new one on the way so will fing out net week! Cheers for your help!

Cheers

Jon

P

Pete Denness 2

I've fixed my unit by doing the CAKEY saw job and:

Drying it out on a low radiator for a couple of hours.

Running a few drops of super glue around the wet switches to seal the leak.

Epoxy the unit back together again.

Tested it in a saucepan and it transmits again, bonus.... Kinda invalidates your warranty though but SmartCast are apparently sending me an RSS unit to replace the dodgy one so I thought what the hell I've see if it works.

If you're getting a warranty job, it might be worth a try to get you going again.

Pete