Adapting Smartcast for Longer Range

Matt Wheeler

Reaction score
Hi guys I'm new to the Forum and just like to say what a good site it is.

I read Cakey informative article on adapting the Smartcast but just wondered where Cakey or someone else could help me:

1. What is a Phono socket?
2. Where can I obtain one?
3. What is a phono plug?
4. Where can I obtain one

Sorry to be thick but electronics is not my strong part. Any help appreciated.

Thanks Matt

Milo

Reaction score
Matt

Phono plugs/sockets are common audio connectors. You should be able to get them from any electrical/hifi shop.

Milo

Matt Wheeler

Reaction score
Has anyone else tried these alterations, did it work okay. Its just I want to be sure before invalidating my warranty.

Matt Wheeler

Reaction score
Looked at some online stores such as Maplin & RS Components and there is a vast array of Phono socket for this and that. Can someone give me exactly what ones you need so that I could order them online.

J

jason fisher

Cakey's your man here but it's just possible he might be in france carpin at the moment.

C

Cakey

Im here ....really really busy at the mo and really sorry Ive not e-mailed you back yet Matt.
I was going to jump on it at the weekend.
Wish I was in France .......
will be there on the 27th this month but not carpin......going out and out cattin.

Matt Wheeler

Reaction score
Thanks guys, Sorry to be a nuisance Cakey but if you could have a look at it this weekend I would be extremely grateful.

Matt

C

Cakey

Just got back from testing a cat that Ive fitted a American spec unit to and this one is the best yet .
I took it down to Fishers Green and took it out until I could not tell what way round the boat was and I was still in range on the smart cast.
1/2 wavelength aerials is the way to go on the American spec units.
Just another tip...anyone with a baitboat of any kind buy a yellow or white sticky backed reflective number plate and cut it into shapes for the front of your boat (Ive done flames on mine) this helps tell what way round your boat is at distance and works day or night .....

S

Scott Thomson 2

Cakey, is it possible to use a 12v battery to power the smartcast unit, instead of 8 AA's?
The power socket is identical to a standard Humminbird power socket, if so what size fuse should I use?

Scott.

Mark Tinker

Reaction score
modified a smartcast as specified by cakey and towed it out with my viper baitboat but the range was short of 100 yards . should it be more? also the range was cut shorter when bringing the boat towards me. any ideas?

C

Cakey

100yds is still 3x further than stock.
fine tuning your aerial lengths may help

Mark Tinker

Reaction score
made sonar ariel 5 1/2 inches and base ariel 11 inches got well over 150 yards well impressed!

jason butterfield

Reaction score
hi lads
got the american smartcast done the mods but not even reaching 60yards?
whats a half wavelenth aerial?
anyone got any idears?