Science Fiction Fishery

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Well, Mark Wintle predicted it in an article (see link at bottom of news report) and now it looks like it won't be long before it becomes a fact.

I've said it before, and I don't mind repeating it - I'm glad I've had my era when I have.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

How truly hideous!!!

There are not words to describe such an utter monstrosity.

B

Bill Cox

Unfortunatly as our society becomes more and more pampered , self obsessed and just downright soft things like this will become more and more the "norm " In years to come people like me will be looked upon as the sad eccentrics of the sport as we struggle to keep things real and as we know them.Maybe all us "traditionalists"could form our own movement maybe named after that other old eccentric ,perhaps "The Chris Yates appreciation society for the preservation of sense in angling".

J

john conway

We are not far away from the complete virtual reality fishing experience? You don?t even have to leave your house, just pay into a sky type transmission of various waters and fishing styles. All you?ll need is a computer, a virtual head set and joy stick, which has all the necessary feedback sensations of casting and fighting a fish. (OK I can?t miss this one, a virtual vibrating rod!!) For a bit more money you could invest in a virtual all round weather effect, all this and more for less than you now pay for your fishing. We have the technology and after reading about the climate-controlled fishery we may also have the customers???

R

Ron Troversial Clay

To me, one of the greatest attractions in angling is to spend time in the realm of nature. To look at and see a truly wild species in wild surroundings.

I have never ever wanted to fish matches, because in many cases fish are being used as footballs, or snooker balls, or distances marked out on tracks. Yet it will be the match anglers who will no doubt support these horrendous developments.

Call me a traditionalist if you like, but such developments are the thin end of the wedge in the gradual elimination of the magic of being part of a little bit of wilderness that is a major part of why we go fishing.

And as the concrete and tarmac gradually destroys parts of these islands, especially the South East, we can only but wonder what it will be like in 20 years hence.

The people in the South East will not know what a wild river is all about. Concrete will have destroyed that. The oast houses of Kent will be just a faint memory.

And the only waters left for fishing will be such hideous concrete monstrosities that have been described.

I am with Graham here. I am delighted to have lived and known true wild fishing in my life, even if some of it has been fly fishing for stocked rainbow trout in a reservoir.

At least I stood on mud and weeds and had rushes and lilies in the margins.

And I have known the chill blasts of winter, as well as the balmy breezes of springtime and the flight of the cockchafer and the scent of the watermint.

Not Astroturf and air conditioning!!

T

Twainy

Not for me.
Simple solution..... stay away.

If everyone does that then it won't last.

I agree with Bill Cox on this, unfortunately, it will probably be supported by the pampered.
they won't ever know what they've missed.

a bit sad really.

F

Frothey

whilst your having a south east rant ron, can you explain when leicestershires been part of it? its up north you muppet!

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Because it's in the south east where Prescott and Blunkett want to build all those bloody houses. More damn concrete!!

Mind you I will probably shoot off to North Uist or The Czech Republic before then.

J

john conway

Yesterday evening, I stood on the banks of the Ribble at dusk watching the rooks kicking up a fuss as they settled down for the night in the woods that surrounded me. It was like being in a parallel world, I could make out the odd car as they drove home to watch the TV or pop out to the pub, and I wondered if as they drove they had any concept or thought for me watching them from my parallel world. I?m afraid Ron we are only tolerated so long as we don?t interrupt their drive for more and more fast food and technological gimmicks to keep them happy. Can?t remember who said it about keeping the masses under control, ?keep their bellies full and their balls empty and they?ll be no trouble??

R

Ron Troversial Clay

I've said it before; and I will say it again.

"Give them them bread and circuses"

That's what the rulers of ancient Rome thought and that's what Blair, Blunkett, Brown and Prescott believe too.

The circuses are of course bloody football matches!

And they will be played on astroturf before long.

alan strickland

Reaction score
Hopefully there will be more than 1 built and spread out across the country.Just think no brolly or waterproofs needed,no wind blowing your line all over the place,no cormorants/rats/mink in fact zero wildlife to bother your enjoyment Just a bloody concrete bowl with a lid on built on a handy to get too trading estate with good motorway links,throw in a wacky warehouse to keep the kids happy and maybe one of thoose designer outlets for the misses,meet up after for a family meal!!!Wont catch me anywhere near one but it will keep the types who would fish them off the rivers and canals/estate lakes,you might even get a few old lakes returning to tench/bream and roach stocked at natural levels instead of fin to fin pastie carp so its got my vote ,lets have one in every city.
How long before indoor/outdoor british records instead of the wanted by some people stillwater/river records.

D

Dave Slater

Definately not for me. If the idea catches on fishing will become boring and poinless.

L

Les Clark

It won`t happen while there are people who want the real world and what it can offer and there will alway`s be these people(us),otherwise we may as well jack it all in.

N

Nick Austin 2

YE!!!! what has this got to do with the South East RON?....
course they want to build houses there!!!...... who the F**K would wanna live ooop north?. hehahehahehahehzahe!

(tounge in cheek...)

I agree, build it and THEY will come, just dont expect to see many of FM's crowd there

kevin brooks

Reaction score
As far as i am concerned they can take their climate controlled ,weatherproof concrete bidet and stick up the backdoors of those who want this kind of non angling, but as frothey says at least it will keep them off of our natural lakes.