Bending The Rules

S

Stewart Bloor

The scenario : A club has a blanket ban on night fishing. There is no other reason than the club is run by match types (no criticism intended, just setting the table) who don't night fish and therefore don't see why anyone else should. The water in question is remote, there are no people to disturb, you intend being discreet.

The question : Is it OK to fish into and through the hours of darkness?

C

Carp Angler

Is it OK?
Only you can say wether it's OK or not.
You can justify the argument both ways to satisfy your own conscience.

Is it allowed? - No
Is it harming anyone? - No

Are you happy to 'bend' this rule?
What other rules are OK to bend?
What other rules are in place that are totally ignored because they are stupid?

It's a bit of a minefield Sedge.

In the scenario you suggest, then yes, I would be happy to bend that rule slightly.
But that is not carte blanche on all other rules.

R

Rob Brownfield

Hmmm...there may be more of a reason for the night ban, such as it being a condition of the lease. Break the ban and u could cost the club the fishing rights!!..

S

Stewart Bloor

A valid point Rob, that situation exists in reality, but the scenario I laid down was that there was NO other reason except for the mindset of the club committee.
By the way, this isn't me seeking an answer by trying to word a question in this way....it's just a thought that crossed my mind and wondering what sort of opiniopns came through. So I'm not seeking answers for myself...I know what I would do....

R

Rob Brownfield

ahhh...Stewart...well...when I reach the pearly gates, i had better be let in!!..lol

i have broken the odd rule in the past, fishing over the *into dusk* rule...and jumping a fence to fish a water i was not supposed to fish...but...as i have gromn wiser, I realise that these rules are there for a reason...so i behave myself. A couple of water I fish have had trouble with rule benders and becaus eof this, the rules are tightened!

One rule I continue to flaunt on a local water is an "all pike must be killed" rule. This rule is in place due to pure ignorance and bloodymindedness from the owner. The Pike apparently eat all his ducks and trout. In 14 years of fishing the water, I have NEVER seen a duck taken (he shoots the ducks by the way) and the only trout in there are wild brownies that pick up deadbaits (large fish). It is not a commercial trout fishery and the owner does not fish. I will not kill a fish for the sake of it.

P

Philip Inzani

Sedge if the only thing I had to lose was my rights to fish that water and not risk a blanket ban on other waters or a big fine and that I thought I would considerably improve my chances by fishing at night then yes I would go for it.

I generally try and stick to rules because as someone else mentioned it can have an impact that you are not aware about and also not sure about others but I really dont like fishing while having to sort of look over my shoulder all the time....I can't relax so that would be something else to consider.

J

John Tait

"The scenario : A club has a blanket ban on night fishing. There is no other reason than the club is run by match types (no criticism intended, just setting the table) who don't night fish and therefore don't see why anyone else should. The water in question is remote, there are no people to disturb, you intend being discreet.

The question : Is it OK to fish into and through the hours of darkness? "

No, of course it isn't - there is a rule which clearly states that fact. But . . . . .

We have the same ruling at my `local` club. In the past, night fishing was allowed, but a ban was brought in due to a general feeling among the committee that imposing a ban would reduce the amount of litter being left at the water - and I have to agree that it was bad.

However, as time has passed it has become obvious that stopping night fishing has not really had any great effect on the littering at all. So a few years ago, myself and two carp-angling friends (all committee members, by the way) brought a motion before the club AGM for re-instatement of night-fishing. We did this by means of two proposals.

The first was that night-fishing was to be allowed for all members. If this was rejected, then the fall-back was to open night-fishing to a restricted number of members, who would have to pay a premium on top of normal membership fees. syndicate, if you like. This was proposed as being self-policing, as all members would be vetted beforehand as to suitability, and that they would have to register which nights they wanted to fish before actually going on the water. Therefore, at any time, it would be known who had been on the water on what nights/days. And the guys who were there would have acted as a deterrent for poachers.

Needless to say, the club rejected both proposals. The first one because `the litter will come back` - the second one because `it goes against the club constitution to charge some members more for their fishing than others`.

No amount of discussion would move the membership from their decisions - unfortunately, as generally happens, the majority of members present were other comnmittee members (mainly match anglers). Although we had contacted other carp/specimen type anglers within the club, asking them to attend the AGM and support our proposals, apathy ruled yet again, and not one turned up.

So, the ban remains - the litter also remains,although not so bad now, due to the fact that since the poachers hit the lake a couple of years back the membership has dropped drastically, and the water just does not get the pressure it used to - and we knew that would happen.

But possibly worst of all in this is the fact that I know the water is being night-fished - the signs are there, if you know where to look. I have reported this to the committee (I am no longer a member of that august body !), but nothing has been done to enforce the ban - and, as with many other clubs, I suspect, very little is done to enforce any of the other `silly` rules either.

I have always been of the opinion that if as ruling is put in place, it should be enforced. If it is not possible for it to be enforced, then rescind it.

Jonty

C

Chris Bishop

Is it a condition of the lease or something..? Some clubs get cheaper public liability insurance if people aren't on the waters at night.

David Preston

Reaction score
There is a good argument to be made in favour of night fishing - more than one of our waters have been targetted by organised fish thieves with vans and nets.

The presence of responsible anglers on the bank during the hours of darkness is a great deterent.

S

STUART JOHNSON

Is it ok to bend the rules. In my opinion no, rules are there for a reason, the reason may not make any sence but they are there. If you break or bend one rule this leaves the door open for other rules to be broken that do make sence. Also I have recently introduced my kids to our wonderfull sport and like other parents I tell them to stick to rules what ever they are doing. I would like to think they do take notice and I would not be happy if others bent the rules in my club as they would be setting a poor example to young people.

G

gary magee

If a water has certain rules such as a night fishing ban it should be respected and those opposed to it make representations to the commitee to have the rule amended. As most of the anglers on this thread seem to be predominantly specimen hunters of different kinds I`d like to put a certain senario to you?
A water contains a very big carp eg 40lb with a strict night fishing ban. One hundred anglers fish the venue. Ninty nine anglers obey the rule but only one catches the fish whereas the angler fishing nights who has the greater advantage due to the decrease in bankside disturbance lack of angling pressure and choice of swims also catches the fish . Surly the angler whos only fished the days with all its inherent difficulties his catch has much more worth and greater standing amongst his peers than somebody who didnt play to the same rules yet achieved the same result.

J

John Tait

." Surely the angler whos only fished the days with all its inherent difficulties his catch has much more worth and greater standing amongst his peers than somebody who didnt play to the same rules yet achieved the same result."

It would be nice if it were so, Gary - but in these days of twisted values, the rule-breaker is just as likely to be looked upon as the `top man` - sickening, isn't it ???

Jonty

G

gary magee

jonty
Its nice to find somebody who actually agrees with me on anything!(BEWARE).

P

Paul Williams

Hope you lot all stuck to the speed limit today, and didn't take an extra five minutes tea break!!!!!!!! :eek:)

M

Malcolm Bason

"and didn't take an extra five minutes tea break!!!!!!!! :eek:)"

Not me Paul - I just took a full days sickie!!!!!

K

Kevan Farmer

I did see an article not long back in the angling press - can't remember who it was, sorry - stating that a fair number of well known carp anglers had, in the past, defied night fishing bans. It's a tricky one that really only the individual can answer for himself. Who has turned up early at a water and fished and gone before the baillif comes round with a book of day tickets?

K

Kevan Farmer

Er, sorry that last bit should have included "assuming you don't have a current year permit".

G

gary magee

My van wont do over 30 and being self employed I dont get tea breaks.does this mean Im perfect?
(Apart from having a big gob that is).

A

Alan Roe

If you dont like the current rules of your clubs you basically have two realistic options.

1 Get a working majority of like minded individuals on the committee and change the rules.

2 If 1 above does not look like being a likely proposition within a reasonable period of time then move on to another club.

Don't be tempted to break the rules and get put out of the club under a cloud my main club which is a game angling club will approach the previous clubs to check on the previous behaviour of those wishing to become members.

This is done to ensure the integrity of the club.
Quite honestly it is a method I support as we do not have the discipline problems that go with admitting a wrong un

R

Rob Brownfield

I think i will take myself off to Hutchies syndicate in linconshire and just fish it, even though I am not a member...maybe night fish it...

I presume he will just let me fish?..won't he?