Digital Camera Flashunits

Roy Sutton

Reaction score
I have found my current Kodak Digital camera excellent for daytime shots but sadly lacking when using the built in flash unit. The model is the 3500 which comes without a hot-shoe facility.
I intend replacing the camera with something in the ?300-400 bracket but would appreciate any advise on a decent digital camera with the following:
1. decent flash.
2. Not too complex for people using the camera to hopefully photograph me with a huge River Dove barbel!
3.Not too bulky or delicate for mud and rain.
4.Option for self timer/remote.
I was considering either a secondhand Canon G3 or the new Canon G5.
Any advise from anglers rather than camera sellers would be much appreciated.

Colin North 2

Reaction score
For ?360 you could get the Pentax Optio 5 with very useful built in flash that seems to work very well. Shop around tho, since you might get it a bit cheaper now. A friend paid ?460 + for their one whilst another friend shopped around and got one for for ?370. I paid ?360 but that was a couple of weeks ago, and they seem to be falling in price all the time. Excellent camera and lens.

S

Shrek

I got my digi camera from eBuyer as they were the cheapest for the model I got. They appear to do the Pentax Optio 5 at a reasonable price too. P&P isn't too extortionate either.

Roy Sutton

Reaction score
Thanks for the advise. How have you found the flash for night time shots?

Colin North 2

Reaction score
I cannot say tthat I have spefically used it for night time shots. I will get the wife to photograph me tonight in the garden, and let you know tomorrow.

Roy Sutton

Reaction score
Cheers m8 I will look forward to your reply. I would love to hear what your wife says when you ask to have your photo taken tonight in the garden!
Anglers...all bloody nutters!!
Brilliant

Roy Sutton

Reaction score
Your a lucky man. My wife is not as keen about fishing as me. She's still daft though!

C

Colin North, the one and only

Roy,

I've just sent you an Email, but couldn't attach abything to it.

Colin North 2

Reaction score
The pictures on my PC have come up a little dark, but in the camera they are fine and sharp. There is no infra red focus thing on the flash, and the camera doesn't have a hot shoe, but with a headtorch, you will have no problem with focusing. The flas will easily over ride the light from your headtorch. I will Email the photo's to you if you respond to my Email, so you can see for yourself, as they are, straight off the camera. You will see that they can easily be adjusted on your PC

Roy Sutton

Reaction score
Thank you Colin.
I have sent you a private e.mail so that you can send me the photos. Cheers.

C

Chris Bishop

It's worth under-exposing a bit with digi as you don't burn the highlights out or get so much flare off the fish when you're fumbling around. They'll tweak up easily in most image editing pogrammes.