Gyrodactylus salaris

alan strickland

Reaction score
Just been reading the EA sites fishing section and noticed this warning about a parasite ive never heard of but could do huge damage to our rivers.The uk is clear of the parasite at the moment but from what ive read the modern angler is in danger of infecting our rivers in the UK.France/Sweeden/Norway and Spain are effected by the parasite and with the amount of anglers now fishing in europe on holiday for carp/catfish/zander/pike/trout/salmon ect the chance of bringing the parasite back with them is a real threat.The parasite infects the skin and gills and will kill Atlantic salmon.It comes from the baltic rivers and strains of baltic salmon are not effected,only way ive read of killing the parasite once it`s in the river is to poison the intire river and restock!!.It can be brought back from a fishing trip to an effected area on keepnets/landing nets and other tackle,so an angler say fishing in france on holiday for carp/cats could on returning to the UK fancy a barbel sesion and introduce the parasite to our rivers.Killing the parasite involves proper drying of tackle and a net dip type solution.
Further info in PDF format on the EA site.
http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/commondata/105385/gs_leaflet_690244.pdf

C

Cakey

I thought the way to kill the stuff in your landing net was to dry it out properly for a couple of days

B

Bill Cox

I have always been led to believe that PROPERLY air dried nets once completely dry pose no threat to fisheries or other waters regards the passing of parasites and viruses etc.Net dips often harbour more germs then they block due to improper and infrequent filling and changing of the solution.All you can really do is ensure that as individuals we carry out correct care and maintanance on our gear and hope others do the same.It is worrying though all the same.

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
Please answer Cakey someone, he is off to France after Catfish, nobody wants him bringing back anything to upset our rivers. Personal fungal problems are OK, we are not worried about them even if Cakey is.

C

Cakey

Posh.......it was after my trip to to your house that I ended up with my personal fungi problems !

all the other stuff I have are sexually transmitted so you are safe while you smoke that pipe !

R

roto fryer 1

anyone fishing in france should disinfect nets etc upon returning to the uk.
do this before going fishing in the uk

B

Budgie Burgess

Drying nets is the most sensible and practical way surely?

R

roto fryer 1

do both and be sure. dry and disinfect. i disinfect also as most of the waters i go to dont have facilities for doing it there

C

Cakey

Im still water this time but me and Thrush want to go on a river soon !...........coming?

alan strickland

Reaction score
Sorry last part of my post should of read proper drying or a net dip,but i guess both to be sure cant do any harm.

B

Budgie Burgess

Ok was just going to give you a bit of info if you were going to try the Saonne in the popular areas.Good luck.Going to be concentrating this year on a water in Macedonia,if I get it sussed you are more than welcome to come along.